Font substitution problem.

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Font substitution problem.

Postby Emperor Penguin » 2019-07-21 12:42

I can’t figure out how to substitute only one specific font. I have a pdf that has a problem only in one font to substitute correctly. The pdffonts file.pdf command outputs this:

Code: Select all
name                                     type              encoding         emb sub uni object ID
---------------------------------------- ----------------- ---------------- --- --- --- ---------
ArialUnicodeMS-UniJIS-UTF16-H            CID Type 0        UniJIS-UTF16-H   no  no  no      22  0
ArialUnicodeMS,Bold-UniJIS-UTF16-H       CID Type 0        UniJIS-UTF16-H   no  no  no      25  0
ArialUnicodeMS,Italic-UniJIS-UTF16-H     CID Type 0        UniJIS-UTF16-H   no  no  no      28  0
ArialUnicodeMS,BoldItalic-UniJIS-UTF16-H CID Type 0        UniJIS-UTF16-H   no  no  no      31  0
BookmanOldStyle                          CID TrueType      Identity-H       yes no  yes     34  0
BookmanOldStyle                          CID TrueType      Identity-H       yes no  yes     40  0
Times-Roman                              Type 1            WinAnsi          no  no  no      46  0

The pdffonts -subst file.pdf command outputs this:

Code: Select all
name                                     object ID  substitute font      substitute font file
---------------------------------------- ------ --- -------------------- ----------------------------
ArialUnicodeMS-UniJIS-UTF16-H            22     0   MS Gothic            /usr/share/fonts/msgothic.ttc
ArialUnicodeMS,Bold-UniJIS-UTF16-H       25     0   Arial Unicode MS     /usr/share/fonts/ARIALUNI.TTF
ArialUnicodeMS,Italic-UniJIS-UTF16-H     28     0   Arial Unicode MS     /usr/share/fonts/ARIALUNI.TTF
ArialUnicodeMS,BoldItalic-UniJIS-UTF16-H 31     0   Arial Unicode MS     /usr/share/fonts/ARIALUNI.TTF

They all work fine (for Bold, Italic and BoldItalic) except the first one (for the Regular). It should use the Arial Unicode MS font like the others but instead it substitutes with MS Gothic.

I have tried every solution I could find on the internet but nothing worked. At some point I made a typo in the fonts.conf file that turn all fonts in the system to Arial Unicode MS. When that happened the pdf showed the correct font for the ArialUnicodeMS-UniJIS-UTF16-H. So I know it can be substituted. I just can’t find a way to only apply to that specific font.

From ArialUnicodeMS-UniJIS-UTF16-H to Arial Unicode MS.
Emperor Penguin
 
Posts: 106
Joined: 2011-02-25 13:40

Re: Font substitution problem.

Postby ruwolf » 2019-07-21 18:28

Where was your PDF created?
E.g. LibreOffice seems to have its own font substitutions settings: https://wiki.debian.org/SubstitutingCal ... mbriaFonts
User avatar
ruwolf
 
Posts: 392
Joined: 2008-02-18 05:04
Location: Slovakia, Banovce nad Bebravou, Matice slovenskej 1260/4-7

Re: Font substitution problem.

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-07-21 19:43

Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux® — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 10695
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: Font substitution problem.

Postby Emperor Penguin » 2019-07-22 07:02

Thank you guys for your help. But it looks like it's a problem with poppler. I've seen bug reports from others that describe the problem I'm having. I tried other pdf viewers and they all rendered the pdf fine. Only the pdf viewers that use poppler had problem.
Emperor Penguin
 
Posts: 106
Joined: 2011-02-25 13:40


Return to Desktop & Multimedia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

fashionable