Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Font substitution problem.

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Emperor Penguin

Font substitution problem.

#1 Post by Emperor Penguin »

I can’t figure out how to substitute only one specific font. I have a pdf that has a problem only in one font to substitute correctly. The pdffonts file.pdf command outputs this:

Code: Select all

name                                     type              encoding         emb sub uni object ID
---------------------------------------- ----------------- ---------------- --- --- --- ---------
ArialUnicodeMS-UniJIS-UTF16-H            CID Type 0        UniJIS-UTF16-H   no  no  no      22  0
ArialUnicodeMS,Bold-UniJIS-UTF16-H       CID Type 0        UniJIS-UTF16-H   no  no  no      25  0
ArialUnicodeMS,Italic-UniJIS-UTF16-H     CID Type 0        UniJIS-UTF16-H   no  no  no      28  0
ArialUnicodeMS,BoldItalic-UniJIS-UTF16-H CID Type 0        UniJIS-UTF16-H   no  no  no      31  0
BookmanOldStyle                          CID TrueType      Identity-H       yes no  yes     34  0
BookmanOldStyle                          CID TrueType      Identity-H       yes no  yes     40  0
Times-Roman                              Type 1            WinAnsi          no  no  no      46  0
The pdffonts -subst file.pdf command outputs this:

Code: Select all

name                                     object ID  substitute font      substitute font file
---------------------------------------- ------ --- -------------------- ----------------------------
ArialUnicodeMS-UniJIS-UTF16-H            22     0   MS Gothic            /usr/share/fonts/msgothic.ttc
ArialUnicodeMS,Bold-UniJIS-UTF16-H       25     0   Arial Unicode MS     /usr/share/fonts/ARIALUNI.TTF
ArialUnicodeMS,Italic-UniJIS-UTF16-H     28     0   Arial Unicode MS     /usr/share/fonts/ARIALUNI.TTF
ArialUnicodeMS,BoldItalic-UniJIS-UTF16-H 31     0   Arial Unicode MS     /usr/share/fonts/ARIALUNI.TTF
They all work fine (for Bold, Italic and BoldItalic) except the first one (for the Regular). It should use the Arial Unicode MS font like the others but instead it substitutes with MS Gothic.

I have tried every solution I could find on the internet but nothing worked. At some point I made a typo in the fonts.conf file that turn all fonts in the system to Arial Unicode MS. When that happened the pdf showed the correct font for the ArialUnicodeMS-UniJIS-UTF16-H. So I know it can be substituted. I just can’t find a way to only apply to that specific font.

From ArialUnicodeMS-UniJIS-UTF16-H to Arial Unicode MS.

ruwolf

Re: Font substitution problem.

#2 Post by ruwolf »

Where was your PDF created?
E.g. LibreOffice seems to have its own font substitutions settings: https://wiki.debian.org/SubstitutingCal ... mbriaFonts

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

Emperor Penguin

#4 Post by Emperor Penguin »

Thank you guys for your help. But it looks like it's a problem with poppler. I've seen bug reports from others that describe the problem I'm having. I tried other pdf viewers and they all rendered the pdf fine. Only the pdf viewers that use poppler had problem.