Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian bullseye and cinnamon

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
giaur

Re: Debian bullseye and cinnamon

#21 Post by giaur »

Cinnamon 4.2.3 no problems Debian Sid:

(weird: cinnamon-settings ran from console has missing Cinnamon version, from menu, version is there)

djk44883

#22 Post by djk44883 »

giaur wrote:Cinnamon 4.2.3 no problems Debian Sid:

(weird: cinnamon-settings ran from console has missing Cinnamon version, from menu, version is there)
That's not really "no problems" ...your screen shots had nothing/little to do whit cinnamon beyond basic system information. Installing, displaying version - isn't the same as running fully supported issue free... well, for most users.

giaur

#23 Post by giaur »

I think you are wrong. What do you mean by "supported version"? Codes are compiled from official Mint team's sources, they are fully supported. That's official Cinnamon release. Ok, Debian does not want to compile latest sources and put debs to repo, but saying I am running "unsupported" stuff is just wrong. I am running fully supported Cinnamon version, compiled from official sources. I can post bug report to Cinnamon team, because I am running unmodified Cinnamon version, so why are you saying it's not supported?

djk44883

#24 Post by djk44883 »

giaur wrote:I think you are wrong. What do you mean by "supported version"? Codes are compiled from official Mint team's sources, they are fully supported. That's official Cinnamon release. Ok, Debian does not want to compile latest sources and put debs to repo, but saying I am running "unsupported" stuff is just wrong. I am running fully supported Cinnamon version, compiled from official sources. I can post bug report to Cinnamon team, because I am running unmodified Cinnamon version, so why are you saying it's not supported?
Your own previous post
giaur wrote:It's pretty easy to compile. I'm on 4.2.1, compiled from source, you can find debs on forum. Official Debian support does not exist, or I am blind. I think Cinnamon will be eventually removed from repos, as it's not functional anymore and there is no support
This is kind of a debian user forum, not cinnamon team... so from the perspective of debian users, like you said - does not exist. Repos are for end-users, compiling source isn't.

giaur

#25 Post by giaur »

Bunch of good software is not in Debian repos, that does not mean we should drop Debian and go to other distro. If you can't compile by yourself, you can install debs compiled by someone else od use 3rd party repo if exists. "No problems" I mean sources are ready to compile and package on Debian, which is not always obvious, especially for so complex software as desktop environments

Fantu

#26 Post by Fantu »

the debian-cinnamon team still exist and active, even we are only 2 maintainer active, one is me that I don't have big amount of time and another new (but he is gaining experience and also maintains an ubuntu derivate with cinnamon)
check changelog of cinnamon-desktop-environment to see what maintainer do is not good, it is only a meta packages with few changes, there are many components: https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?log ... debian.org you should check changelog of all 16 main components for some details, somemore checking also gits.
If I have enough time I spend up to 30-40 hours (not all versions I could) on prepare and testing package any new major version and also other time for other minor upload with bugfix.
What is a problem the recent missing of a DD (or DM with upload permission) that upload works done in git in fast time, (I hope norbert can do it again): https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors ... 00082.html
And another thing useful is more help on testing, also other advise it is appreciated but MUST be constructive and detailed, I opened a topic about: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=150915

Sorry for my bad english.

Edit:
for bullseye stable proposed release there is this fix for cinnamon in queue for now: https://salsa.debian.org/cinnamon-team/ ... c429cff79d
if there are other important fixes to try to do a proposed stable updates (not only cinnamon itself but any of its components...) please tell me

djk44883

#27 Post by djk44883 »

A couple years later we get a clearer understanding what happened with Cinnamon and Debian. Thanks @Fantu for all your effort and work you contribute to projects!

I have become comfortable, maybe complacence, with MATE desktop. I like the somewhat simplicity of MATE and Cinnamon. Cinnamon is polished with a more modern look and feel... but sadly a stable release wasn't keeping up with Debian.

It will be great if/when you get things straightened out with Debian and Cinnamon can have a regular upgrades available.

Fantu

#28 Post by Fantu »

@djk44883 thanks for reply, if you mean have latest cinnamon desktop available also in stable via backports I don't have enough time to do and test also it :( (I don't know if joshua he would like to do it and has time but without upload right if someone that have but need to review it risk to be difficult find volunteers sponsor)
about better quality of packages and less bugs would be good have someone that can upload "faster" (I will not know how soon I will be able to do it, I started the DM procedure a few months after 7 years that I was contributing only with git and I cannot meet a DD to speed it up, I hope at least norbert can/want return to upload them)
about testing (and/or help also on search on existant bugreport and if needed do a debug) also more help would be useful for help to increase packages quality (in some cases it is quite fast if they are easily reproducible problems and with fixes available upstream that are found immediately, others could take a long time and therefore I will be able to do only few)
about some personalization and changes to default values instead, only few users asked me and if someone other want them "out of the box" should tell me here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=150915
about some software and other things mint specific (like mintwelcome) even if someone request them I think is not good have them in debian, I'm wrong?

majpooper

#29 Post by majpooper »

For whatever it's worth I am running Cinnamon 5.0 on Bookworm with no bugs and have done a bit of tweaking.
P don't know what the difference may be but I did not install Cinnamon during the install process. I installed Debian netinstl and then installed lightdm and cinnamon using

Code: Select all

apt install --no-install-recommends cinnamon

Code: Select all

majpooper@1150z:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
  Kernel: 5.15.0-2-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.2.0
    Desktop: Cinnamon 5.0.6 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

djk44883

#30 Post by djk44883 »

Fantu wrote: 2021-12-27 17:06 @djk44883 thanks for reply, if you mean have latest cinnamon desktop available also in stable via backports I don't have enough time to do and test also it :(

mint specific (like mintwelcome) even if someone request them I think is not good have them in debian, I'm wrong?
back-port WOW, that would be amazing... no not what I mean, didn't get that far. I can barley image the time involved finishing a fully developed product. If/when they allow you, or someone, to upload work to the repository - wonderful. A note about back-ports, at one time to get the most current version of mate-desktop... it was via back-ports.

Yes, I agree, it should be Debian branded not Mint specific. I suspect that's labor intense enough alone.

Debian is such an enormous project, spread all around the world (I think), as organized at it is.... I guess everything takes time... just hope not too much more - for you or the users!

Fantu

#31 Post by Fantu »

good news, today Norbert replied me and he will upload the new cinnamon packages ready in salsa git^^

31/12:
5.2 packages are in experimental, if someone want help to test them, thanks to Norbert for upload them