Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian bullseye and cinnamon

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ClintonWinant

Debian bullseye and cinnamon

#1 Post by ClintonWinant »

I have just installed Debian Bullseye with cinnamon. None of the settings menus appear: For instance Menu->Preferences/Display shows a running clock icon briefly then nothing. Same behavior for all other Prferences items. Any clues?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Debian bullseye and cinnamon

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Running testing immediately post release - good luck with that.
ClintonWinant wrote:Any clues?
wait a few weeks.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

theblueplll

#3 Post by theblueplll »

ClintonWinant wrote:I have just installed Debian Bullseye with cinnamon. None of the settings menus appear: For instance Menu->Preferences/Display shows a running clock icon briefly then nothing. Same behavior for all other Prferences items. Any clues?

Do you also use Sid and wonder why things don't work?

giaur

#4 Post by giaur »

Instead of useless comments, you could provide solution: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/8495

Btw, you can wait... maybe forever

djk44883

#5 Post by djk44883 »

From past experience cinnamon didn't get much support on debian.

the date for cinnamon-desktop-environment changelog https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/ ... _changelog goes back to Tue, 07 Aug 2018 ...there's had to have been some active development since then.

Since then I've become happy with mate-desktop. Mint seem to have cinnamon 4.0

giaur

#6 Post by giaur »

It's pretty easy to compile. I'm on 4.2.1, compiled from source, you can find debs on forum. Official Debian support does not exist, or I am blind. I think Cinnamon will be eventually removed from repos, as it's not functional anymore and there is no support

theblueplll

#7 Post by theblueplll »

giaur wrote:Instead of useless comments, you could provide solution: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/8495

You really think installing things that aren't from the Debain dev team is a solution?

Or better maybe reinstall the whole mess and start over since it's testing and is going to break anyway from time to time?

giaur

#8 Post by giaur »

Do you really think not working desktop is cool? You will wait forever, with broken desktop. Your choice. You actually need to edit one file to fix bug. You don't need to install anything.

And you should realize: there is no any Debian team for Cinnamon, and nothing is going to be fixed in any near future. Ofc you can wait, but as fix exists and bug is fixed months ago, you could link that, "wait" is not solution.

If you are smart enough, you can fix some isues by yourself (in this case, apply fix from devs), if not, you will always wait. Well maybe you are not smart enough, but let the others choose what they want to do.

theblueplll

#9 Post by theblueplll »

giaur wrote:Do you really think not working desktop is cool? You will wait forever, with broken desktop. Your choice. You actually need to edit one file to fix bug. You don't need to install anything.

And you should realize: there is no any Debian team for Cinnamon, and nothing is going to be fixed in any near future. Ofc you can wait, but as fix exists and bug is fixed months ago, you could link that, "wait" is not solution.

If you are smart enough, you can fix some isues by yourself (in this case, apply fix from devs), if not, you will always wait. Well maybe you are not smart enough, but let the others choose what they want to do.

Haha calm down junior.

Youy really think your idiotic attempt and trying to talk down to me and make yourself look superior matters at all in my life?

If you weren't so childish you may have acted differently in the first place.

cuckooflew

#10 Post by cuckooflew »

giaur wrote:Instead of useless comments, you could provide solution: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/8495

Seems like a reasonable solution, the toy story clowns are not going to do anything to fix the broken toys,

The guy that asked this:
Do you also use Sid and wonder why things don't work?
is kind of handicappped I guess, and enjoys posting nonsense, making useless comments , but any way I do use SID, and everything works just fine, I have not had any problems that can't be fixed with a little search foo, and some logic, something this pill popper is lacking.

Code: Select all

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:   Debian
Description:   Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid
Release:   testing
Codename:   bullseye 
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

giaur

#11 Post by giaur »

theblueplll wrote:
giaur wrote:Do you really think not working desktop is cool? You will wait forever, with broken desktop. Your choice. You actually need to edit one file to fix bug. You don't need to install anything.

Haha calm down junior.

Youy really think your idiotic attempt and trying to talk down to me and make yourself look superior matters at all in my life?

I'm trying to show which comment is useless. Your answer does not help and it's totally useless. If you don't want to help, it's ok. But offtopic spam is not ok.

cuckooflew

#12 Post by cuckooflew »

by theblueplll »Haha calm down junior.

Agreed, spam is not ok, and childish trollbots are not really ok either, the irony, this trollbot calling someone else childish. Hey troll bot, nobody has to do anything to make you look inferior, you do a great job of that your self,
at least giaur offered a possible solution,
Mint seem to have cinnamon 4.0
Really thhe only other solution would be to use Linux Mint, cinnamon is something they made, and that is why they keep supporting it and developing it. Since Linux Mint is based on Debian, Cinnamoun can be compiled for Debian, but yes it does take some tecnical skill, not much, but some .
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and

giaur

#13 Post by giaur »

Afaik, Cinnamon 4.2 will be released with next Mint release, so yes, current stable Mint is on 4.0. Regarding to issue reported by OP, I posted bug report and fix (until Debian applies it, which is not going to happen anytime soon).

If somebody afraid to apply fix by himself, wait for official update. Or compile (guide is straighforward) or use debs I compiled (4.2.1). Choice is always yours

theblueplll

#14 Post by theblueplll »

I'm not a trollbot
I try to make jokes and you idiots take them as me being serious and clueless.

I am not handicapped but that is pretty rude.

If not for the "we are superior you are an inferior imbecile" attitude in this forum maybe things like thsi wouldn't happen.

Do people think they are all that special because they know something about a piece of software or an OS?

When in reality a lot of times a lot of you are wrong and dismiss anything people say because you are so sure that your ( or the person that posted ahead of someone else)are correct even when shown proof that you're not.

I simply asked if something was a wise idea and got talked down to like I am 5 and the peson saying it was my mentally challenged abusive guardian.

And then more people come at me like this is a gaming forum full of frustrated 12 year old nerds that think they are tough hiding behind an internet connection.

cuckooflew

#15 Post by cuckooflew »

Haha calm down junior.

You really think your idiotic attempt and trying to talk down to me and make yourself look superior matters at all in my life?

Your funny dude,
And then more people come at me like this is a gaming forum full of frustrated 12 year old nerds-----snip---
I don't hangout on gaming forums, but you are close, I am 10 years old, all though the age does not matter, you really should try to be more mature.
and

djk44883

#16 Post by djk44883 »

3 /15 post have anything to do with Cinnamon much less bullseye and/or debian. Given the play-baby pointless tone, it would seem an ms windows environment better suit you.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by sunrat »

djk44883 wrote:3 /15 post have anything to do with Cinnamon much less bullseye and/or debian. Given the play-baby pointless tone, it would seem an ms windows environment better suit you.
Seems to me you are complaining about something and then doing exactly what you are complaining about.
Better to just ignore the trolls. :wink: :mrgreen:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

teabian

#18 Post by teabian »

+1

I used to used LMDE3 and it had the same bug. Part of the reason I switched to Debian Testing with Cinnamon is because Mint didn't fix it. This link does have a fix for it. A simple edit to a file. Perhaps the Debian Cinnamon Developers could link to this fix???

PS... Stop being a bunch of squabbling jerks, people like you are the reason many people don't use Linux. They don't like being treated like crap by a bunch of childish people.

giaur

#19 Post by giaur »

Unlike some orhers, I posted solution. In response, I got "answer" saying, that solution is wrong and we should wait.

Btw. Very easy to find solution. Enough to copy - paste console error message to Google. Fix is included in Cinnamon 4.2 and latest Mint released just moment ago. For Debian, I have already said everything I think about it, I would not expect any Cinnamon update anytime soon, hopefully Cinnamon is easy to compile.

Also, has anobyody posted bug report to Debian?

teabian

#20 Post by teabian »

giaur wrote:
Also, has anobyody posted bug report to Debian?
That’s a good question, has anyone posted the bug?