HDMI video output works, but not audio

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Re: HDMI video output works, but not audio

Postby djk44883 » 2019-08-08 18:57

gurfle wrote:Thanks @djk44883 for your effort trying to help. It is appreciated, even though in fact, as you suggest, it isn't really related to my system.

BTW, the link to your image works, but it is not embedded in the post. I suspect there is a typo somewhere. Should just be [img]URL[/img].
You know you can check before actually posting using the "Preview" button, and to fix something like this after you post you can hit the "Edit" button at the top of each of your posts.
EDIT: I just tested it myself with your actual link, and something weird prevents the picture from showing up in the post itself, even thought the link is fine. I would not be surprised if it some ugly thing google does, which I stay away from at all cost, but who knows . . .

I used the image tag, I'm guessing it left the word IMAGE because it wasn't an actual .png .jpg or graphic. Yes, I'm aware of preview function, I sometimes use to proof my post depending on my mood and topic, the edit is self explanatory.
I completely agree with your take on google. I've had the account since the early days, when they had "don't be evil" for a moto, but they've lost that long before dropping the phrase.

As for you audio, I'd suggest to keep it simple. Just install the minimal controls you need. mate-volume-control-applet is basic and should configure your system's audio. pavucontrol has more control, but until you get things working, cut the unnecessary overhead. Remove layers that aren't truly needed for basic function, if pulsaudio is enough you may not need alsa

I recall something about sink and configurations in /etc/pulse ...but there have been various systems, I don't have thing changed to remind me here.
I truly hope you get this conquered very soon!
djk44883

Postby gurfle » 2019-08-08 21:22

djk44883 wrote:I used the image tag, I'm guessing it left the word IMAGE because it wasn't an actual .png .jpg or graphic.
Yes, I had that thought too, and in fact just confirmed by briefly changing the file extension on one of mine. Probably the forum software requires certain file extensions like .png, as you suggest.

I will first peel away pulseaudio, since it is much more complicated, and many say not necessary. We'll see how far I then get with only alsa to deal with. Would be nice if one could find at least a complete list of all the options for such widely used drivers like snd-hda-intel. I've encountered a few partial lists that have been built by volunteer contributors, but they are generally way out of date, and not relevant to my setup.
gurfle

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-08-09 08:38

gurfle wrote:Would be nice if one could find at least a complete list of all the options for such widely used drivers like snd-hda-intel.

Code: Select all
E485:~$ ls /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/
align_buffer_size  enable      index        patch         power_save             probe_only
bdl_pos_adj        enable_msi  jackpoll_ms  pm_blacklist  power_save_controller  single_cmd
beep_mode          id          model        position_fix  probe_mask             snoop
E485:~$
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby gurfle » 2019-08-09 09:17

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
E485:~$ ls /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/
align_buffer_size  enable      index        patch         power_save             probe_only
bdl_pos_adj        enable_msi  jackpoll_ms  pm_blacklist  power_save_controller  single_cmd
beep_mode          id          model        position_fix  probe_mask             snoop
E485:~$

Very interesting!

It looks like this lets you discover what parameters have been set for each option.
What I really meant was a list of all the possible parameters for each option, and what they do, since I would like to know if there is something that hasn't been correctly set.
gurfle

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-08-09 09:23

Head_on_a_Stick

Postby gurfle » 2019-08-09 18:07

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/high-definition-audio-specification.pdf
Thanks, a fantastic design document, though approaching 10 years old, and unfortunately not too helpful for solving my specific issue!

This I already had found, and is also not yet revealing anything for my HDMI problem. Though hard to navigate, I now see how to find all the options, so thanks for prompting me to revisit it. The "trial and error" approach needed with a lot of those sound options is rather daunting.

To avoid rebooting for every try, do you know whether the following from root is sufficient to fully test one snd-hda-intel parameter vs. another:
/etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:This post was brought to you by startpage.com :mrgreen:
Yes, I just recently discovered this is an excellent googlefree way to go!
gurfle

Postby djk44883 » 2019-08-09 18:57

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
This post was brought to you by startpage.com :mrgreen:

Yes, I just recently discovered this is an excellent googlefree way to go!

...and they offer truly private email!
djk44883

Previous

Return to Desktop & Multimedia