Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to change Applications' icons in Gnome 3.30

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Hadi_Setayeshgar

How to change Applications' icons in Gnome 3.30

#1 Post by Hadi_Setayeshgar »

Hello Guys
I used Debian 9 for about 2 years , After Buster I switched to Mint and then other distros ... Now I use Debian Buster with Xorg as default and there's no problem except Applications ( like SMPlayer , Vivaldi , XnViewMP and other apps' ) icons don't appear in /usr/share/applications at all and when i change the icons nothing happens ......

Is any thing changed in Gnome 3.30 ? Or it's because of Wayland changes in Debian 10 ?
How can I set my own custom Icons for Applications ?
BTW , in Debian 9 on every update Firefox , Vivaldi , Opera and some other apps' icons gonna updated and I should change icons again and again .... Is there a way other than Icon Themes to fix an App's icon in Debian / Gnome for always ? I like Adwaita , some other themes are cool too .... But I love to set my favorite icons for apps

Thanks A Lot

phenest

Re: How to change Applications' icons in Gnome 3.30

#2 Post by phenest »

What you should be doing (and it's always been the correct way), is to copy the applications .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to $HOME/.local/share/applications and then edit the .desktop file there instead.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Hadi_Setayeshgar

#3 Post by Hadi_Setayeshgar »

Hello Sir

Nothing happened :

https://pasteboard.co/IsReH8u.png

I Removed Apps from Favorites and changed Icons of copied desktop files to the $home/local/share/applications and none of their icons changed ....

Thanks For Your Guidance

emariz

#4 Post by emariz »

I am sorry, but I do not understand your problem. Is it that some application icons do not appear when one shows all applications (Super+A)? Is it that the icons of some applications do not correspond to the selected icon theme?

Hadi_Setayeshgar

#5 Post by Hadi_Setayeshgar »

emariz wrote:I am sorry, but I do not understand your problem. Is it that some application icons do not appear when one shows all applications (Super+A)? Is it that the icons of some applications do not correspond to the selected icon theme?
No Sir , In Debian 9 I used to going /usr/share/applications and open desktop files and chose my own favorite icon for apps ( different from Icon Theme's ) just like Icons I chose in the screenshot ..... But when I'd got changing applications' icons , they were changing globally .... In Panel as pinned or not pinned .... In Alt-Tab Switching and every where ...... But now I change apps' icons and nothing changes ...... I don't like many apps' icons as they are neither Icon Themes' chosen icons for Vivaldi , Opera , Firefox , SMPlayer , VLC etc

shep

#6 Post by shep »

In the *.desktop files , there is a line that specifies the icon. You can edit it to change the icon.
As phentest mentioned, it is preferred to customize the icons in your home directory rather than system wide. These are not overwritten if the application is updated.
Most desktop entries use *.svg enteries but you can use *png by specifying the full path to the *png.
Some, but not all desktop menus can tell you have 2 entries and will use the ~/.local/share/applications/*.desktop over /usr/share/applications/

I use jgmenu which until the latest release did not. I would append "NoDisplay=true" to the system wide directory in order to force the display of my ~/.local/share/applications/*.desktop entry.

Arch linux has a nice wiki entry on the freedesktop specifications.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/desktop_entries

Hadi_Setayeshgar

#7 Post by Hadi_Setayeshgar »

shep wrote:In the *.desktop files , there is a line that specifies the icon. You can edit it to change the icon.
As phentest mentioned, it is preferred to customize the icons in your home directory rather than system wide. These are not overwritten if the application is updated.
Most desktop entries use *.svg enteries but you can use *png by specifying the full path to the *png.
Some, but not all desktop menus can tell you have 2 entries and will use the ~/.local/share/applications/*.desktop over /usr/share/applications/

I use jgmenu which until the latest release did not. I would append "NoDisplay=true" to the system wide directory in order to force the display of my ~/.local/share/applications/*.desktop entry.

Arch linux has a nice wiki entry on the freedesktop specifications.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/desktop_entries
Thank You A Lot , Sir
It worked !

phenest

#8 Post by phenest »

shep wrote:I would append "NoDisplay=true" to the system wide directory in order to force the display of my ~/.local/share/applications/*.desktop entry.
I've never had to do that but I have noticed that some icons require a logout then login to change, regardless of using X11 or Wayland.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D