Thanks very much. It says...

Kernel modules: radeon.

The microcode TURKS is also in /lib/firmware/Radeon
Code: Select all
24 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 24096 Aug 22 21:04 TURKS_mc.bin
 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  5504 Aug 22 21:04 TURKS_me.bin
 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4480 Aug 22 21:04 TURKS_pfp.bin
28 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 24668 Aug 22 21:04 TURKS_smc.bin

Same size microcode files as in Mint 19.2.

(That's Deb 10 not working, Mint 19.2 working with no setup)

What in the world????
Open is freedom.
neodeb

Re: Nouveau - works in Stretch, not in Buster

Postby neodeb » 2019-09-11 23:36

But I can not verify the microcode is loading. I do not think they loaded. How do I fix that????

Mint 19.2 =
dmesg | grep -E 'drm|radeon' | grep -iE 'firmware|microcode'
Shows:
[ 1.660912] [drm] Loading TURKS Microcode

Debian 10 =
dmesg | grep -E 'drm|radeon' | grep -iE 'firmware|microcode'

Shows: <Nothing>.

Why not? What to check?
Is this a Debian 10 bug or oversight?

I tried linux 5 with backported firmware too, so it wasn't likely the kernel build.

I tried the buster-backport firmware. Didn't work.
Last edited by neodeb on 2019-09-14 19:39, edited 4 times in total.
Open is freedom.
neodeb

Postby neodeb » 2019-09-14 14:29

1. Thanks for those trying to help. In the end I could not find why my Radeon (I replaced the Debian 10 unsupported Nvidia-304 driver, nor Nouveau working card with AMD HD 6670 w/OPEN DRIVERS) yet the microcode didn't load (TURKS) in Debian 10, on MY MAIN WORK STATION (Since 2012, Debian 6 on this one). I have other working Debian installs and wanted to keep all on the same Debian release. As noted; another crappy built-in, worse performing AMD 300 series GPU system did work with Debian 10.

2. Only being left left with my test install of Linuxmint Mate 19.2 working the switched-out AMD GPU, by booting into a new test Mint install, on a 15GB /dev/sda3 partition, separate from full-upgraded Debian 10 (no X; but vesa for me) on Deb10 /dev/sda1 and mixed with my Deb10 /home user data; now I had some tough choices to make. Remember: BACKUP FIRST! I could have done another test (with another partition in free space) and a clean install of Debian 10 (from live mate); but wanted to KNOW the situation with my GPU's, with Debian 10 and LinuxMint.

3. While it would have been nice to have a separate /home partition or drive(and REMEMBER not to format it on clean installs); but that wastes a little space, making sure the system has enough for trying new things. I always said; I'd deal with my integrated /home data and this how I did it. While I've preached; that one can make Debian polished, like Mint, if you will; I like the polish LinuxMint Mate 19.2 (LTS Buster based) is doing, it works and it is very time saving for me.

4. Without reinstalling anything, again cleanly; I went radical and replaced my Debian 10 SYSTEM(only) in sda1 with the LinuxMint system *and also* its sda3(Mint) /home hidden configuration files; by deleting the Debian system (using sudo caja in mint; for convenience) and leaving only my data in /home/user on sda1 there, and then deleted ONLY the hidden Debian configuration files in Debian, old /home/user folder. This is tricky; because I manually searched all Debian "system" folders for any forgotten data outside its /home. In my case; I only kept my user login icon and historical upgrade notes in my sources list. I also went through all the old configuration folders and files (of apps I forgot about trying; as I always purge deleted apps configuration files) and looking for any setting I might have need to remember, for apps I've not yet installed on my new Mint system install. Double checked; before deleting old system AND hidden configuration folders and files. In the old (Deb 10 sda1) system, I ran across a special file that couldn't be deleted; until I looked up how. Then I just made sure everything in my test, sda3 install of Mint was what I wanted to keep and had no duplicate data that could ever write over my old /home/user data. Mint's test /home/user was basically empty of my data.

5. Now the whole Mint source was ready to copy the system (using the same /home/*user* name on the destination data partition), including the /home/user/ hidden config folders and files, onto the target/destination of the old sda1 drive, with my data as the only thing left in /home/use. You can't copy a live booted system, so I booted a live one from a USB made install stick, must be root (console) and you can't do a regular copy due to SPECIAL (they work with RAM) files. So both mounted in a live USB boot then you ALSO have to be very careful with command line syntax as follows...
  $ sudo cp -afv /path/to/source/* /path/to/destination
Don’t forget the asterisk after the source path.
-a Archive copy
-f Force copy
-v Verbose info displayed

Note: The system copy over is MUCH smaller than my data in place. Much faster transition. And this is an SSD drive; but even on platters, the first place for the system was deleted, so new system would go back there, on the faster part of the spinning drives.

6. Now edit your /etc/fstab and replace (sda3's / in this example) UUID with the (sda1) UUID now instead. Issue blkid to see all UUID's.

NOTE: Don't make a "new" swap disk partition now or you will have to edit the UUID for swap in /etc/fstab *and also* for sleep resume /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume or you'll get errors on the next steps. You could just clone/reset the old UUID for any newly made swap partition; however.

7. Reinstall GRUB from the live boot method: https://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-r ... tu-live-cd

DANGER! DO NOT USE ANY NUMBER LIKE 1, JUST A LETTER (like /dev/sda ONLY), FOR THE MBR OF THE DRIVE, WITH THE grub-install /dev/sdX COMMAND; else it will write over the first part of your partition(like sda1, DON'T use here), rendering data lost and system not bootable.

8. Then after testing, boot again from live USB and use gparted (install it live if you have to) to CAREFULLY remove the test partition /dev/sda3 (in my case) and resize /dev/sda1 to full space. Apply changes in gparted.

9. You may need to issue a
sudo update-initramfs -u
, you can edit out the wrong UUID in the GRUB menu with "e" and CTRL-X to run it. And secondary kernels would need this too. You might just remove and reinstall your backup kernel(s).

10. It works!

I used Debian stable for everything, on many systems for constancy; due to excellent security upgrades, stability, stable upgrades within the release tier (for about two years before new stable) all mainly to save time (once installed and built-up) and I used to think Debian was the only one (two months after new stable) where a clean install was not always better. Now, a backup and clean install is always better. Separate /home is purely optional. And we ALWAYS need a backup anyway (I recently watched an EVO SSD die and have my backup). Therefore every two years I would spend some time upping Debian. This time sucked. Even after waiting over two months, after new stable to be cautious. If you're wisely still on Debian 9 as your MAIN system then stay there! Back up your data first.

This (no separate /home) method could be adapted for any distro or release, installed as a test(first), in spare HD space such as /dev/sda3 made by gparted, from live booted USB. You could even go back to Debian 9 Stretch oldstable. Just backup FIRST and be careful.
Last edited by neodeb on 2019-09-16 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
Open is freedom.
neodeb

Postby dajames » 2019-09-15 00:08

phenest wrote:Is your video card an nVidia GeForce 6150. Is that AGP based or PCI-Express? It sounds old to me, so I'm guessing AGP.
AGP based cards are no longer supported by nVidia nor ATI/AMD.

Neither. I have an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard which uses the nForce430 chipset with integrated GeForce6150 graphics. It's a Socket AM2 board, and I'm using an Athlon64 X2.

It's far newer than AGP! The board would support a PCIe x16 external card, but I don't need any more power than the integrated nVidia chip provides.
dajames

Postby neodeb » 2019-09-15 03:16

@dajames Well you could go back to Debian 9 stretch, with the nvidia-304 proprietary driver (made easy by sgfxi) but oldstable and lack of Nvidia-304 driver upgrades will get old fast. And Nouveau is worse.

Open driver GPU is the way to go. And with low needs perhaps an AMD giveaway card (under $50 or $10 used or free) needs to find it's way into your PCI-E slot. Make sure you get the monitor connections you need. I'm enjoying HDMI out with no adapter needed.

Since Debian 10 buster stable cut-off the Nvidia unmaintained nvidia-304 via xorg >1.20, then I was starting to have some hacking success by patching the nvidia installer for nvidia-304 as working in LinuxMint newest buster based Mate 19.2; but still had video player error. Though, there was a fix for that too; that I didn't test. That might work for you; but if Mint's xorg goes to 1.20 then 304 is forever unsupported. Linuxmint 19.2 support runs out 2023, I think. You could test it; but it's not an easy fix like open driver cards. Linuxmint 19.2 + [b]patched, manual Nvidia-304 (at every kernel upgrade) + video player fix[/b]. And then it might have bugs. Less then Nouveau probably. Let me know if this works well for somebody; but it's only a matter time (on current, upgraded, stable-ish software).

And there was mention of using a newer Nvidia proprietary driver number from Nvidia on an older card. I would be surprised if that worked and did not try it.

Side Note: You probably need the change the thermal paste under your CPU chip too. MIne is Athlon X2 with (not used) Nvidia 6150E built in also.

I hope for all open drivers; but we can't force this. Even when Nvidia cuts their proprietary support *and* adds more hindrance to reverse engineering (Nouveau) on newer GPU's; by their new closed source hardware "signing" requirements.

Please don't support Nvidia. Nvidia has had more chip failures too. But let's also not help Nvidia obsolete it's old cards. It just looks bad for open distributions compatibility; that we know did work well (built-in, low needs) on them. And we know open drivers (with manufacture collaboration) are a dream come true!

I think we should stop telling folks to try Nouveau, just to see. Before it works on most cards. Or at least a definite list.

It would be best to code in user friendly error messages (perhaps after rebooting into text), about the known GPU situations. And a nomodest activating GRUB selection (GPU recovery?), or at least a quick pasted command to add it with a descriptive (login to text only) user friendly title.

How about a maintained Debian GPU script (at failure) similar to sgfxi, easily apt upgradable to the latest solutions, options, links and text explanations; including sane selectable options and/or advice?

It's all about open hardware too! Please be patient educating many folks about this; but do tell people to buy open.
Open is freedom.
neodeb

Postby dajames » 2019-09-18 21:10

neodeb wrote:@dajames Well you could go back to Debian 9 stretch, with the nvidia-304 proprietary driver (made easy by sgfxi) but oldstable and lack of Nvidia-304 driver upgrades will get old fast. And Nouveau is worse.

I have Debian 9 running on this hardware (from a different hard drive) with the Nouveau driver. That's fine. What I'm trying to do, though, is specifically to try out Debian 10.

Incidentally: I notice that that the current Ubuntu release (Disco Dingo - 19.04) [running from a liveUSB] runs nouveau just fine with a 5.0 kernel (newer than in Debian 10) ... but that is running Wayland rather than Xorg, so quite a different environment.

Since Debian 10 buster stable cut-off the Nvidia unmaintained nvidia-304 via xorg >1.20, then I was starting to have some hacking success by patching the nvidia installer for nvidia-304 as working in LinuxMint ...

I'd say that it's nVidia not supporting the new Xorg rather than Xorg not supporting the nVidia driver. I suppose one has to expect a vendor to stop supporting older cards at some time (but I'd hope for rather longer support than this -- especially for a built-in chipset). The Nouveau driver is Open Source, though, and should be able to be kept going for far longer.

Side Note: You probably need the change the thermal paste under your CPU chip too. MIne is Athlon X2 with (not used) Nvidia 6150E built in also.

Yes, that's been on my mind as I've been noticing some elevated (though not alarmingly so) temperatures in the recent hot weather.

Please don't support Nvidia. ...

When I built that PC I wanted a socket AM2 motherboard with onboard graphics and support for ECC memory. The board I have seemed to tick the right boxes. At the time nVidia were supposedly easier to work with than AMD/ATI so it seemed a reasonable choice.

Things have changed.
dajames

Postby jean2 » 2019-10-02 21:08

Hi,

Has the Nouveau bug at the start if this thread been reported in the Debian bug tracking ? If yes, can I have the bug number ?
I seem to be hitting the same issue after an upgrade to Buster with a Quadro FX560.
Thanks in advance !

Jean
jean2

Postby dajames » 2019-10-30 17:59

jean2 wrote:Has the Nouveau bug at the start if this thread been reported in the Debian bug tracking ? If yes, can I have the bug number ?

Sorry, it's taken me a while to get around to this. The bug has now been reported and the number is 943844.

I hope that helps.
dajames

Previous

Return to Desktop & Multimedia