Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Troubleshooting input device freeze

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
athmoss

Troubleshooting input device freeze

#1 Post by athmoss »

Hello,

I am running Debian Sid with lightdm and Mate desktop (updated almost daily with whatever new package versions appear in the repositories). For the last few days, maybe over a week, I'm experiencing some unusual behavior. All of a sudden, the desktop stops reacting to any keyboard/mouse input. It happened while browsing the web (Firefox/Chromium), chatting in Pidgin, watching a video (local with VLC or streamed in a browser from e.g. Youtube), running a VM (Virtualbox)... If watching a video when this happens, the video and audio just continues to play and I only notice the freeze once I want to close the player or browser tab or e.g. adjust the volume. When the machine is in this "frozen" state, the mouse cursor moves as normal, even changes shape when hovering over a link or a text field, disappears if a video is in full screen, but any open app does not react to clicking, selecting with the mouse or to any keyboard input. I'm not even able to switch to TTY1 to restart X or lightdm. The only way I figured to get out this state is hold the power button for a few seconds and start the laptop again.

I understand I did not give much valuable information, but the thing is, I don't really know where to look. Any pointer in the right direction, hint on logs to check, settings to verify is much appreciated. Thank you!

Regards,
athmoss

pylkko

Re: Troubleshooting input device freeze

#2 Post by pylkko »

Yes, please search for some log output or anything else that can be useful to readers.