Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Video playng glitchy

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
GogoAkira

Video playng glitchy

#1 Post by GogoAkira »

Playing netflix in chromium works flawless in GNOME.

Mate, i3, bspwm, all have the same problem in chrome netflx plays glitchy, there's lines across the screen.
i3 I installed with netinstall, just i3 and xorg, and it already had xorg intel drivers and core.

As far as I can tell kernel is using same drivers = i915 for all examples.
cpu is a Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen

I also have a GNOME laptop using a similar cpu and same 915 drivers, and I can't find a dirrence.

Only think I know is that gnome uses wayland and the rest use X .

How can I find what is causing this difference, and solve the flickering on MATE and i3 with X.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Video playng glitchy

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Enable the TearFree option for the Intel DDX driver: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In ... cs#Tearing
deadbang

KoO

#3 Post by KoO »

I prefer to just keep the xorg.conf in etc/x11 I find that with moving it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf does not work for me. This is with an sgfxi intel install not repo intstalled. T430 & X220
Using the same code.

xorg.conf

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
  Driver "intel"

Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection
Systems : Debian-10 bullseye (i3wm)

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

KoO wrote:I prefer to just keep the xorg.conf in etc/x11 I find that with moving it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf does not work for me.
If you already have /etc/X11/xorg.conf then I think the fragment files are ignored. This would include the fragments shipped with packages so that may not be ideal.
KoO wrote:an sgfxi intel install
:?

An sgfxi Intel install of what, exactly? Debian provides the recommended modesetting driver with the X server and the Intel DDX driver is available in the repositories so relying on a few thousand buggy lines of bash to install the driver seems a bit silly.
deadbang

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Sgfxi will just install the Debian intel driver if you don't have it---but I don't know if it also configures the system to use it instead of modesetting with that config file.

Maybe using uxa acceleration for that vintage GPU instead of the default sna would help:

Code: Select all

Option      "AccelMethod" "uxa" 
MX Linux packager and developer

KoO

#6 Post by KoO »

@Stevo

Thanks for your reply I will give your suggestion a try. At lease you came up with an alternative.
Systems : Debian-10 bullseye (i3wm)