Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10 Buster boots to TTY1 not desktop manger :(

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Jessica Sinclair

Debian 10 Buster boots to TTY1 not desktop manger :(

#1 Post by Jessica Sinclair »

Hello guys i am new to Debian 10 buster, i installed Debian 10 Buster using mother board GPU so i could install all the drivers for my Nvidia.

When i try using Nvidia GPU to reboot into Nvidia KDE Desktop Manager it boots me into TTY1 but from there i had exhausted all my google search for 3 days trying to find an answer to how to boot to KDM (KDE Desktop Manger) from console, i just cant find any answers using GOOGLE :(

could someone help me with command lines or how to fix it so i could boot into desktop manger with Nvidia graphics card? I am using Nvidia RTX 2080 ti video card and my mother board is Gigabyte Z390 Elite with latest drivers and bios.

L_V

Re: Debian 10 Buster boots to TTY1 not desktop manger :(

#2 Post by L_V »

Hello,
KDM does not exist in buster. You should have sddm installed (Simple Desktop Display Manager).
You will need some support to install Nvidia driver.
You can try this below, but it will probably not work:

Code: Select all

systemctl start sddm

Deb-fan

#3 Post by Deb-fan »

Might give that a looksee. Good luck ...

:)
Last edited by Deb-fan on 2019-10-26 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

If the motherboard gpu is still active the nvidia will present as a second gpu, and with incomplete instructions autodetection will leave you at the prompt. Make sure the onboard gpu is disabled if that is your desire, then you will need to install whatever for the nvidia from the command line WITHOUT the onboard gpu active so that it's configuration is correct. Alternatively you can add an xorg hint file specifying the busid of the nvidia while the onboard is active. I'd also try using nouveau drivers first, then either remove or blacklist if you must use the nvidea drivers.

Jessica Sinclair

#5 Post by Jessica Sinclair »

Hi thank you for all the fast replies, I have managed to install nvidia drivers but when it boots to desktop the font is so small i literally need a microscope to see the fonts ... is there a command from console i could execute to get the desktop to boot in 1920 x 1080? with normal fonts?

L_V

#6 Post by L_V »

Of course you can change font size. You can have a direct access here:

kcmshell5 kcm_fonts
and for all settings

systemsettings5
If not already installed, you should also install fonts-liberation.

darkness44

#7 Post by darkness44 »

it's a graphics card related issue