Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

sddm theme error

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
nickettke

sddm theme error

#1 Post by nickettke »

I installed this sddm theme called mcmojave in my debian 10 kde.

https://ibb.co/qJkLT87

I even installed all the qtquick.control versions from synaptic and it still is displaying this.

Chrisdb

Re: sddm theme error

#2 Post by Chrisdb »

nickettke wrote:I installed this sddm theme called mcmojave in my debian 10 kde.

https://ibb.co/qJkLT87

I even installed all the qtquick.control versions from synaptic and it still is displaying this.
Which versions did you install?

The version that comes with Buster (qt 5.11) does not contain qtquick controls 2.5 as stated in the error you got.

See:
Https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtquickcontrols-index.html

nickettke

#3 Post by nickettke »

Ohh.. So what do I do now? Can you please tell me step by step? I'm sort of a novice.

L_V

#4 Post by L_V »

"mcmojave" is not a Debian package.
You don't like sddm-theme-breeze ?
Where did you exactly find your mcmojave sddm theme package ?
+ feedback of this

Code: Select all

apt list --installed '*sddm*'

nickettke

#5 Post by nickettke »

I don't have any problem with ssdm-Breeze, I just wanted to try something new that's all.

I found mcmojave from the "Get New Theme" option in the "Login Screen(SDDM)" of the kde system settings.
https://ibb.co/Yj8DmzJ. https://ibb.co/dWzQ1c4. These are the screenshots to the settings menu.

I found the customization part in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyz4-KZOzyI.

This is the output

Listing... Done
kde-config-sddm/stable,now 4:5.14.5-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
sddm-theme-breeze/stable,now 4:5.14.5.1-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
sddm-theme-debian-breeze/stable,now 4:5.14.5.1-1 amd64 [installed]
sddm-theme-debian-elarun/stable,now 0.18.0-1 all [installed]
sddm-theme-debian-maui/stable,now 0.18.0-1 all [installed,automatic]
sddm/stable,now 0.18.0-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]

L_V

#6 Post by L_V »

nickettke wrote:I found mcmojave from the "Get New Theme" option in the "Login Screen(SDDM)" of the kde system settings
I don't find any mcmojave with this method, but I probably have another problem because I found no theme at all... (not same sddm version as yours).
This one ? https://store.kde.org/p/1312086/
What is reporting this ?

ls /usr/share/sddm/themes
Just tested: worked "out of the box".

nickettke

#7 Post by nickettke »

L_V wrote:I don't find any mcmojave with this method, but I probably have another problem because I found no theme at all... (not same sddm version as yours).
Yes, that one. Apparently you can get in the kde store too.

This

gives

breeze  Breeze-Blue-Dark-Blur  ChromeOS  debian-breeze  debian-elarun  debian-maui  debian-theme  Qogir  sugar-candy
L_V wrote:I've just installed it with no problem, but not yet tested (I don't want to logout now.... / will test it later).
I had no problem installing it but logging in is where the problem is.

And the sugar-candy sddm works just fine like the debian-breeze.

L_V

#8 Post by L_V »

You should have this one

/usr/share/sddm/themes/McMojav
What is not clear is how you installed it.

Easy method.
1 - download McMojave.tar.xz
2 - unpack the content to /usr/share/sddm/themes/ (needs root privileges).
That's it.

nickettke

#9 Post by nickettke »

L_V wrote:What is not clear is how you installed it.
I don't know mate. I just did as the guy in the vid. But he did fine.
L_V wrote:You should have this one

/usr/share/sddm/themes/McMojav
But McMojav is not just the one having problem, the one like "ChromeOS" and "Qogir" and "Breeze-Blue-Dark-Blur" also has problems, which are all listed.

L_V

#10 Post by L_V »

Can you reformulate what "the guy in the vid" did ?
Or more precisely, what did you do ?
My 2 lines method is probably faster than reading a video, and it works.

nickettke

#11 Post by nickettke »

First I took the settings and then the "Startup and Shutdown" sub setting under the tag Workspaces. Then I took the "Login Screen (SDDM)" sub-sub-setting. There was this "Get New Theme" button there and a popup came listing a lot of themes. The second one was McMojave and I installed it. That's all I did. I have no idea where I went wrong.
nickettke wrote:I found mcmojave from the "Get New Theme" option in the "Login Screen(SDDM)" of the kde system settings.
https://ibb.co/Yj8DmzJ. https://ibb.co/dWzQ1c4. These are the screenshots to the settings menu.
If you click the link, you could see an image of the same.

L_V wrote:
nickettke wrote:I found mcmojave from the "Get New Theme" option in the "Login Screen(SDDM)" of the kde system settings
I don't find any mcmojave with this method, but I probably have another problem because I found no theme at all... (not same sddm version as yours).
What is reporting this ?

Just tested: worked "out of the box".
May I ask you how you installed it? Maybe that'll work.

L_V

#12 Post by L_V »

nickettke wrote:May I ask you how you installed it ?
Already explained here

Now, I must say I don't use Debian stable/Buster.
"QtQuickcontrols version 2.5 not installed" of first message is not clear.
I don't have problem with qml-module-qtquick-controls 5.12. You should have 5.11.3-2.

update
1 - I have installed McMojave sddm tha way you did and /usr/share/sddm/themes/McMojave is created : you should have it (administration password is of course requested).

2 - quite confusing QtQuick vs QtQuick.Controls versions
Qt version of Debian buster is may be the problem / to be confirmed by a Buster user with this sddm theme.

Chrisdb

#13 Post by Chrisdb »

L_V wrote:
nickettke wrote:May I ask you how you installed it ?
Already explained here

Now, I must say I don't use Debian stable/Buster.
"QtQuickcontrols version 2.5 not installed" of first message is not clear.
I don't have problem with qml-module-qtquick-controls 5.12. You should have 5.11.3-2.

update
1 - I have installed McMojave sddm tha way you did and /usr/share/sddm/themes/McMojave is created : you should have it (administration password is of course requested).

2 - quite confusing QtQuick vs QtQuick.Controls versions
Qt version of Debian buster is may be the problem / to be confirmed by a Buster user with this sddm theme.
Hmm, if 2 guys are saying the same, it must be true :P
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 93#p714536

I'm afraid the only option OP has is to try and backport the package from testing (contains a newer version) , but it is not recommended for novices...

L_V

#14 Post by L_V »

Do you mean you tried to install McMojave sddm in Buster ? Are you the "second" ? If yes, better clearly say it.
First problem of nickettke is to clarify why there is no /usr/share/sddm/themes/McMojave directory.

Chrisdb

#15 Post by Chrisdb »

L_V wrote:Do you mean you tried to install McMojave sddm in Buster ? Are you the "second" ? If yes, better clearly say it.
First problem of nickettke is to clarify why there is no /usr/share/sddm/themes/McMojave directory.
L_V wrote:Do you mean you tried to install McMojave sddm in Buster ? Are you the "second" ?
I was just repeating what I said in my first response:
Buster uses qt5-default (5.11), but it contains qtquick controls 2.4 and not 2.5.

If OP wants to install that specific theme, version 5.12 of qt5 needs to be installed, but it's not available (yet) in the buster-backports.

L_V

#16 Post by L_V »

Anyway, Qt11 should not prevent creation of /usr/share/sddm/themes/McMojave directory.
There is something wrong here to be first clarified. Step by step.

@nickettke
You should avoid/limit installation of external KDE packages for the moment.
Debian stable is stable, but ....sometimes a bit late on some points, waiting for backports.
Qt.11 with different QtQuick /QtQuick.Control versions is not clean and confusing (not easily trackable with Debian package version).
No immediate solution to update Buster to Qt 5.12, which does not mean it is not feasible, but probably not to be recommended to you.

Chrisdb

#17 Post by Chrisdb »

L_V wrote:Anyway, Qt11 should not prevent creation of /usr/share/sddm/themes/McMojave directory.
There is something wrong here to be first clarified. Step by step.
This is indeed strange, but at some point the theme did exist in '/usr/share/sddm/themes' according to the screenshot. Maybe the system removes the theme entry after failure...

btw, which version and OS are you running L_V?

@nickettke
For most of the QML files, simply downgrading QtQuick.Controls 2.5 to QtQuick.Controls 2.4 solves the problem.
You can try and modify the 'Clock.qml' file and change

import QtQuick.Controls 2.5
TO

import QtQuick.Controls 2.4
And see if it works, but I'm afraid it will be trial and error...

**EDIT
Another option is to ask the creator for help in the comments: https://store.kde.org/p/1312086/

L_V

#18 Post by L_V »

Chrisdb wrote: Maybe the system removes the theme entry after failure.
I really don't believe it.
Chrisdb wrote:which version and OS are you running L_V ?
Something like this: libqt5core5a 5.12 / plasma-workspace 4:5.17
Chrisdb wrote: You can try and modify the 'Clock.qml' file and change "import QtQuick.Controls 2.X"
Not fan of this proposal which is ugly, especially for nickette who said: "I'm sort of a novice".

Is a kind of novice who wants KDE with latest fancy features should run Debian Stable ?
It is just a question (I may have an idea).

nickettke

#19 Post by nickettke »

Thanks guys. I tried this
Chrisdb wrote: For most of the QML files, simply downgrading QtQuick.Controls 2.5 to QtQuick.Controls 2.4 solves the problem.
You can try and modify the 'Clock.qml' file and change

import QtQuick.Controls 2.5
TO

import QtQuick.Controls 2.4
and no change at all, just some more errors.

It's ok, I'm leaving it there. Some things are not meant to be. And I'm a quitter of sort.

Chrisdb

#20 Post by Chrisdb »

nickettke wrote: It's ok, I'm leaving it there. Some things are not meant to be. And I'm a quitter of sort.
If you say so, but I think you will bump into more issues like this if you use themes that rely on this version..
If you're still interested, we can have a look at the errors and try to make it work with your current setup