Remote Desktop Access from iMac

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Remote Desktop Access from iMac

Postby Tango » 2020-02-09 09:45

I used to use Debian for my servers on a business I ran up until about 2008. Since then I have not had much chance to work on Linux, so I remember a good deal, but I'm way out of date and, of course, I've probably forgotten a few things, even obvious ones.

Here's what I have:

Debian Buster installed on a Minisforum U500 (amd64), using KDE as a DE
macOS Mojave
Both are on the same LAN.

I am currently using Krfb on my Linux system for screen sharing and I can use either the Java TightVNC viewer on my Mac or Apple's ScreenSharing to view the Linux desktop. I used to have a strong preference for KDE, but, again, I haven't used Linux in over 10 years, and the DEs have all changed greatly, so I can change if needed. Also, when I mention what I'm doing on the Linux desktop, I haven't noticed a difference in behavior between ScreenSharing and TightVNC, so, at this point, it doesn't matter which one I'm using.

As it is now, I use Krfb on the Linux system. Eventually this system will be in my guest house (which is about a 3 minute walk, one way, from the house, plus several flights of stairs are involved) while I'll be doing most of my work from the house. When I use remote access, using Krfb, I have to be on the Linux computer to click "Okay" so the remote system can access the Linux desktop. I changed settings and created a remote access password and when I next accessed the LInux computer from the Mac, I did not have to go over and click "Okay" to allow remote access. When I rebooted, the remote password was gone. (It held for that session, but disappears on every reboot reboot.)

Of course, for remote management, I can always use SSH, but there are times I prefer a GUI for various reasons.

I would like to be able to use a client program on my Mac to give me a remote desktop on my Mac. Krfb won't work because every time the Linux computer reboots, I'll have to either remember to change the Krfb settings at that time to allow for a remote session password or, next time I try to log in remotely, I'll have to walk to the guest house to click "Okay" and walk back to my study. (That kind of defeats the purpose of remote access!)

Even more, if it's possible to not share a desktop that is on screen on the Linux system, but only have the desktop appear on the Mac (using whatever client program would be necessary), that would be more convenient (since it'll probably speed up response a little). From what I see, I have to have KDE running for Krfb to work. (Otherwise I'd edit my grub file to not start KDE on boot.)

I doubt all of what I want to do is possible unless I install KDE on my Mac, but here's all that I'm hoping to do:

1. Gain remote desktop access without having to respond to anything on the Linux computer every time a remote session is requested. This would be even after reboots. I want to know I can log on, from my study and on my Mac, to my Linux system in another building, every time I need access to the Linux system.

2. If possible, I'd like to do this without the display on the Linux system being updated. In other words, the entire display is on my Mac and showing only there.

3. And, I doubt this is possible, but I'd like to be able to log into KDE with the session showing on my Mac, but not on the LInux system at all.

4. I don't think this is doable, but it would be nice to be able to log into the Linux system to get a DE without having to have any DE running on the Linux computer at that time. (Yes, the files are all there.)

I've done some research on this, but I can't find a way to keep Krfb from asking for a click on the screen after every reboot.

I'm also aware there may be a much better way to do this than what I'm doing, so I'm open to other ideas. I just want to be able to use a DE remotely with the Linux system as the server with it using as few resources on the Linux system as possible.
Tango

Return to Desktop & Multimedia