For a glorious moment, enjoy the current Chromium on Buster

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Re: For a glorious moment, enjoy the current Chromium on Bus

Postby stevepusser » 2020-04-16 02:09

Like the 81 version in Experimental, this newer version currently in testing that I backported screws up the video for me when va-api is enabled, so the moment may be coming to an end. I wonder if va-api works in testing or Sid with it, though.
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Postby stevepusser » 2020-04-22 02:11

Apparently va-api breaks for everyone with that version: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=956640 :(
stevepusser

Postby FOSS-15-Great » 2020-05-04 15:21

I am a n00b trying to follow the advice in this post. Before I begin to get too deep into it:
Has the glorious moment passed already? Is HW acceleration dead as per the two most recent stevepusser posts?

Or will this still be working with Chromium below v.81?
FOSS-15-Great

Postby kedaha » 2020-05-04 16:47

Just to mention that the latest chromium—courtesy of Canonical—for users who hanker after the shiniest stuff rather than the tried and tested can also be installed via snap:
Code: Select all
# apt install snapd
# snap install chromium
chromium 81.0.4044.129 from Canonical✓ installed

So it appears in the menu (I've tested this with the mate desktop]
# cp /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/chromium_chromium.desktop /usr/share/applications/

However, not everyone agrees with installing stuff via snap; see for example sunrat's comments in this forum topic.
"Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member".—Groucho Marx
kedaha

Postby stevepusser » 2020-05-05 02:39

FOSS-15-Great wrote:I am a n00b trying to follow the advice in this post. Before I begin to get too deep into it:
Has the glorious moment passed already? Is HW acceleration dead as per the two most recent stevepusser posts?

Or will this still be working with Chromium below v.81?

The version in my OBS repo still has va-api working, and Debian hasn't pushed any newer version to Buster yet.
stevepusser

Postby FOSS-15-Great » 2020-05-05 06:56

I managed to get your version of chromium installed, Steve - thank you.
bennyhillthebest wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Did you try ~/.config/chromium-flags.conf? I think that applies for the Debian chromium package as well.

So, it doesn't seem to work for me. I also tried moving the file from ~/.config/ to ~/.config/chromium/, but still no success. Thankfully, with the .desktop file exec line it works, so i'm enjoying my hw acceleration now :D

I just read up on the Arch Chromium Wiki to learn about those flags and managed to get HW acceleration working on my T440p Haswell laptop with HD4600. Thank you, bennyhillthebest for pointing out the possibility of writing the flags into the chromium.dektop file in /usr/share/applications

In case other beginners (like me) are trying this: the flags, as stated in the Arch Wiki, need to be appended to the Exec= line with no line breaks between them.

I still have the following problems, apparently:
Driver Bug Workarounds
adjust_src_dst_region_for_blitframebuffer
clear_uniforms_before_first_program_use
count_all_in_varyings_packing
disable_post_sub_buffers_for_onscreen_surfaces
exit_on_context_lost
max_3d_array_texture_size_1024
max_texture_size_limit_4096
msaa_is_slow
rely_on_implicit_sync_for_swap_buffers
scalarize_vec_and_mat_constructor_args
disabled_extension_GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced
disabled_extension_GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced_coherent
disabled_extension_GL_MESA_framebuffer_flip_y
Problems Detected
Clear uniforms before first program use on all platforms: 124764, 349137
Applied Workarounds: clear_uniforms_before_first_program_use
Mesa drivers in Linux handle varyings without static use incorrectly: 333885
Applied Workarounds: count_all_in_varyings_packing
Disable partial swaps on Mesa drivers (detected with GL_RENDERER): 339493
Applied Workarounds: disable_post_sub_buffers_for_onscreen_surfaces
Always rewrite vec/mat constructors to be consistent: 398694
Applied Workarounds: scalarize_vec_and_mat_constructor_args
On Intel GPUs MSAA performance is not acceptable for GPU rasterization: 527565
Applied Workarounds: msaa_is_slow
Disable partial swaps on Mesa drivers (detected with GL_VERSION): 339493
Applied Workarounds: disable_post_sub_buffers_for_onscreen_surfaces
adjust src/dst region if blitting pixels outside framebuffer on Linux Intel: 664740
Applied Workarounds: adjust_src_dst_region_for_blitframebuffer
Disable KHR_blend_equation_advanced until cc shaders are updated: 661715
Applied Workarounds: disable(GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced), disable(GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced_coherent)
Some drivers can't recover after OUT_OF_MEM and context lost: 893177
Applied Workarounds: exit_on_context_lost
Avoid waiting on a egl fence before swapping buffers and rely on implicit sync on Intel GPUs: 938286
Applied Workarounds: rely_on_implicit_sync_for_swap_buffers
Mesa hangs the system when allocating large textures: 927470
Applied Workarounds: max_3d_array_texture_size_1024, max_texture_size_limit_4096
Disable GL_MESA_framebuffer_flip_y for desktop GL: 964010
Applied Workarounds: disable(GL_MESA_framebuffer_flip_y)

If I understand them correctly they are down to my particular Intel hardware? (i.e. no Vulkan availability for 4th generation iGPU).
FOSS-15-Great

Postby shep » 2020-05-10 12:25

I'll revive this thread. A Chromium fork which attempts to remove Google's tracking code is making Debian Binaries.
The Debian 10 version, based on 81, includes working hardware acceleration, on both my amdgpu 2200g and Intel 630HD.

https://software.opensuse.org/download/package?package=ungoogled-chromium&project=home:ungoogled_chromium

Edit for Grammar
Last edited by shep on 2020-05-13 10:44, edited 2 times in total.
shep

Postby stevepusser » 2020-05-11 03:04

shep wrote:I'll revive this thread. A Chromium fork which attempts to remove Google's tracking code is making Debian Binaries. Debian 10 version, based on 81, available works. Including hardware acceleration, on both my amdgpu 2200g and Intel 630HD.

https://software.opensuse.org/download/package?package=ungoogled-chromium&project=home:ungoogled_chromium

Unfortunately, they don't provide source files (the source code for Chromium is a tad bigger than 108 bytes):

http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... an_Buster/

Hmmm--their github seems to have a patch that fixes the messed up color problems with va-api in the 81 releases--let me see if I can apply it to ours.
stevepusser

Postby shep » 2020-05-11 12:10

Source is available here:
https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium
Are you talking about Debian src files?
https://github.com/ungoogled-software/ungoogled-chromium-debian

By the way, the Debian/Ubuntu group just updated to
81.0.4044.138-1.buster1

this morning. I suspect the Debian/Ubuntu group has set up a build bot.
shep

Postby stevepusser » 2020-05-12 02:06

I adapted the patch to refactor Debian's existing fixes/gl.patch, and that indeed fixed the va-api color issue issue for the now somewhat dated Chromium, so I'm uploading the sources to my OBS repo, though ungoogled-chromium is now a preferred option for the latest release.
stevepusser

Postby bennyhillthebest » 2020-05-12 12:34

stevepusser wrote:I adapted the patch to refactor Debian's existing fixes/gl.patch, and that indeed fixed the va-api color issue issue for the now somewhat dated Chromium, so I'm uploading the sources to my OBS repo, though ungoogled-chromium is now a preferred option for the latest release.

I did the same procedure with this other repo (FROM ROOT):

echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/ungoogled_chromium/Debian_Buster/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:ungoogled_chromium.list

rm -f Release.key && wget -nv http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/ungoogled_chromium/Debian_Buster/Release.key -O Release.key  && apt-key add - < Release.key && rm -f Release.key

apt update

Then deleted all the chromium packages and installed the ungoogled-chromium ones (plus installed the chromium web store extension from NeverDecaf), and everything (including vaapi) works.
My only question is: since this repo does not have libre2-5, what should i do? Should i keep stevepusser version, should i reinstall Debian version, should i do something else? I don't know.
bennyhillthebest

Postby stevepusser » 2020-05-13 02:10

The latest version in my repo has a patch to build without an updated libre2 on Buster--I assume that ungoogled has the same patch. I'll delete that package from my repo, since it's no longer needed.
stevepusser

Postby bennyhillthebest » 2020-05-13 10:57

stevepusser wrote:The latest version in my repo has a patch to build without an updated libre2 on Buster--I assume that ungoogled has the same patch. I'll delete that package from my repo, since it's no longer needed.

The ungoogled-chromium package must not have that patch, since launching the command to remove libre2-5 makes apt remove also ungoogled-chromium. I would hope that the Debian package is built against Debian's libre2-5 but i'm not sure.

Edit: Looked at synaptic, it says that ungoogled-chromium depends on libre2-5>=20160901, so everything should be ok.
bennyhillthebest

Postby FOSS-15-Great » 2020-06-02 18:59

bennyhillthebest wrote:Then deleted all the chromium packages and installed the ungoogled-chromium ones (plus installed the chromium web store extension from NeverDecaf),

Thank you - I managed to install ungoogled chromium, too and HW acceleration is confirmed. When removing the stevepusser chromium package I simply did
apt remove chromium
followed by
apt autoremove
and after installing the ungoogled chromium package all settings remained from the previous installation - including all installed extensions and their settings. Thank you for the heads-up regarding NeverDecaf though - I would not have known about it and wondered how on earth to install extensions!
FOSS-15-Great

Postby stevepusser » 2020-06-21 03:28

I just backported the new Chromium 83.0.4103.83 for MX Linux, and it has va-api working OOTB. I bet Debian pushes a backport to Buster real soon, since it fixes a lot of security holes as usual, but they've been disabling the va-api patches for Buster. FWIW, the Sid version already has the patches set up to build on vanilla Buster--no tweaking necessary. It takes over three hours now to build on my laptop though--this a machine that can build the new GIMP 2.10.20 in a few minutes and the Liquorix kernel in around 18 minutes. I forgot to check how much disk space a build requires, though...

I can't log into my OBS accounts today...which is very troubling. It says my passwords are wrong, and the password reset email isn't showing up in my inbox. Jeesh--hope they haven't been hacked. :shock:
stevepusser

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop & Multimedia