Is there a weather app that actually works?

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Is there a weather app that actually works?

Postby NFT5 » 2020-03-11 07:49

I have a number of installations - Buster KDE/Plasma, Buster MATE and Stretch KDE/Plasma. Not one of them has a weather app that works fully.

A few years ago the panel weather app in MATE worked just fine. It gave an current temperature and icon for conditions on the panel and clicking on it then gave more detailed information on current conditions, plus a forecast for the next week, by day. Now in Buster MATE I can still get the current information but no forecasts. It looks like the information that I'm getting comes from the Australian Bureau of Meteorology.

In Stretch KDE/Plasma the best I can get is just an icon on the panel with no current temperature and, after clicking just maximum and minimum temperatures for today and the next two days. So, no current temperature and no detailed forecasts. This is using the wettercom service - for some reason the bbcukmet service doesn't work.

In Buster KDE/Plasma I can get the bbcukmet information but only a current temperature on the panel and the forecast is limited to a couple of days.

For the bbcukmet and wettercom sources the actuals seem to bear only a slight resemblance to reality.

I prefer something in the panel but, if I could get accurate and detailed information I'd live with it on the desktop.

Any suggestions?
NFT5

Re: Is there a weather app that actually works?

Postby CwF » 2020-03-11 11:57

So it's not just me!

I took to using genmon with the cli package weather-util. Advanced parsing is a little difficult since no one has ever suggested a consistent pattern and instead use 2-4 free form sentences per random period grouping in the forecast. But it is least it is accurate and simple for current conditions.

I don't know how this works outside the US.

Where I'm at forecast are not very helpful. I will use aweather, a 12000' peak to look around, and my spidy sense.
CwF

Postby Hallvor » 2020-03-11 15:57

PEBKAC: Search for the "Weather Widget" plasmoid. :)

Lenovo ThinkPad T440S, Intel Core i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Debian Buster (KDE)
Lenovo ThinkPad X240, Intel Core i5-4300U CPU @ 2.90GHz, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, Debian Buster (KDE)
Hallvor

Postby bester69 » 2020-03-11 16:26

In my opinion there's nothing good for desktop, best way to go is using weather chrome extensions.

Ive been using for several years this one. (chrome, opera and firefox compatibility extension):
https://youtu.be/X9V8Yo8ecGE
https://weatherextension.com

Last edited by bester69 on 2020-03-11 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
bester69 wrote:You wont change my mind when I know Im right, Im not an ...
bester69

Postby bester69 » 2020-03-11 16:31

Hallvor wrote:PEBKAC: Search for the "Weather Widget" plasmoid. :)

My experience with plasmoids is not goot at all.. I think they dont have properly maintained behind them and neither continuity with time. I wouldnt go that way for a weather app, usually theses plasmoids doest work or eventually stop working
bester69

Postby Hallvor » 2020-03-11 18:03

Bester69: Have you installed

Code: Select all
# apt install qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel

It fixes many of those non-working plasmoids. In fact all I have tested.
Lenovo ThinkPad T440S, Intel Core i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Debian Buster (KDE)
Lenovo ThinkPad X240, Intel Core i5-4300U CPU @ 2.90GHz, 8 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, Debian Buster (KDE)
Hallvor

Postby shep » 2020-03-11 19:55

Part of this is dependent on the data source. In the US, weather.gov allows free access to animated radar gif, current aviation weather and Terminal area forecasts.

I'm not sure how it works in the EU. I have published some of the shell scripts I use to pull data and the URL's can be easily edited for your location.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=140755&hilit=weather+scripts

There is an Indian programmer who put up a simple weather site: wttr.in. It guesses your location or you can specify it. I think the interface is simple yet detailed
#!/bin/sh
xterm -g 125x44-1+58 -T "Yakima, WA Weather" +sb -hold -e "curl http://wttr.in/~Alcobendas+Spain"
shep

Postby NFT5 » 2020-03-12 00:08

Hallvor wrote:PEBKAC: Search for the "Weather Widget" plasmoid. :)

:D Already have that in Buster KDE. It's different to yours because sourced from bbcukmet and is about the best of a poor lot. Doesn't work in Stretch or MATE.

bester69 wrote:In my opinion there's nothing good for desktop, best way to go is using weather chrome extensions.

Looks like you may be right about not much available for desktop but, being a work computer I don't always have a browser open, so browser extensions are not really a viable choice. If I could get the same information in a panel or desktop app that would be good.

bester69 wrote:My experience with plasmoids is not goot at all.. I think they dont have properly maintained behind them and neither continuity with time. I wouldnt go that way for a weather app, usually theses plasmoids doest work or eventually stop working

Tend to agree, but I did find meteo-qt in the repos. Seems to be a problem setting a location though - will keep trying......

shep wrote:Part of this is dependent on the data source.

Yes. The North American sources don't have information for Australia while the European (including UK) sources have limited or inaccurate details. MATE seem to have linked to the Australian source for current information but no forecasts.

Kind of annoys me that there is an excellent app for my phone which uses BOM data and forecasts for a week, but nothing for a PC. :(

Thanks for the responses guys. Maybe we'll find something yet.
NFT5

Postby stevepusser » 2020-03-12 01:04

The information sources can change as time goes by and can break an applet, so you often have to buckle down and backport a newer version yourself, or at least make a request on the bug reports or backports mailing list to get it working again. I've had to build newer versions of the XFCE panel weather applet several times for MX.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kodi 18.5, Blender 2.8.2, 5.5 kernels, Openshot 2.5.1, Telegram-desktop 1.9.19, Clipgrab 3.8.11
stevepusser

Postby sunrat » 2020-03-12 02:58

I'm happy enough with the KDE panel widget with bbcukmet data, although I have to remember it may be up to an hour old. I wish it could directly parse BOM data instead.
If I need more current or more detailed info, I open the BOM website or use the BOM app on my phone.

Once upon a time I had a really nice Conky weather section which parsed data from Yahoo weather and was always fairly current and accurate. Don't think that works anymore but I've seen other (lengthy) post about setting up weather Conkys.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby bester69 » 2020-03-12 12:33

Hallvor wrote:Bester69: Have you installed

# apt install qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel

It fixes many of those non-working plasmoids. In fact all I have tested.

Hi, I dont have it installed, and Im sure It will work well..
but as can read Steve and others, If they update datasource, plasmoid will might stop working until someone care about it and fixed, and you have to be pendient of it to repaired as well in your system... I dont want to spare a second with this subject, and you everyday open your browser, so you can query weather in browser.

shep wrote:Part of this is dependent on the data source. In the US, weather.gov allows free access to animated radar gif, current aviation weather and Terminal area forecasts.
There is an Indian programmer who put up a simple weather site: wttr.in. It guesses your location or you can specify it. I think the interface is simple yet detailed
#!/bin/sh
xterm -g 125x44-1+58 -T "Yakima, WA Weather" +sb -hold -e "curl http://wttr.in/~Alcobendas+Spain"

This is pretty cool :D , and opens very fast.. I will keep it in a script shortcut

thanks,
bester69

Postby oswaldkelso » 2020-03-12 17:06

curl wttr.in/Edinburgh wttr.in/London wttr.in/Cardiff

close the thread :mrgreen:
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
oswaldkelso

Postby sunrat » 2020-03-12 19:49

oswaldkelso wrote:curl wttr.in/Edinburgh wttr.in/London wttr.in/Cardiff

close the thread :mrgreen:

But I don't need to know the weather in UK. :mrgreen:

I set up a Conky to use wttr.in a while back but it went offline or had too many requests or something quite often.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby oswaldkelso » 2020-03-12 22:08

^
I blame Conky :lol:

I have it as a launcher in icewm or simply as a script. Works a treat here but for some reason always says rain, snow, gales but never sun!
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
oswaldkelso

Next

Return to Desktop & Multimedia