BSPWM Not Starting

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

BSPWM Not Starting

Postby it0 » 2020-03-15 10:14

Hi experts, I hope you're all fine :D

I'm trying to test bspwm but I'm not being able to make it run. I currently have KDE Plasma desktop.

I've followed the steps provided in https://github.com/windelicato/dotfiles/wiki/bspwm-for-dummies including copying the config files and providing +x to both of them.

Also, I've copied /contrib/freedesktop/bspwm.desktop to /usr/share/xsessions/

Code: Select all
ls -lrt /usr/share/xsessions/
total 8
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2360 feb 14 21:05 plasma.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  104 mar 15 10:52 bspwm.desktop

When I enter on graphical mode, gddm offers me the manager that I want to run, but if I select bspwm it will just get freezed. It doesn't looks like there's a window manager waiting for commands or shortcuts.

If I open a second tty and come back to the first one is totally frozen on the boot sequence after [OK] Started Simple Desktop Display Manager.

I've searched on the forum + google but I'm stuck on how to move forward.

Any clues on how could I put this window manager to work?

Thanks a lot for your hellp.
it0

Re: BSPWM Not Starting

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-03-15 10:52

it0 wrote:I've copied /contrib/freedesktop/bspwm.desktop to /usr/share/xsessions/

The Debian buster bspwm package already supplies /usr/share/xsessions/bspwm.desktop

I can't get it working either and nothing seems to be printed to either the journal or the X.Org log so I really don't know why it fails.

Open a bug report about it and ask the maintainer, they will probably be able to help: https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: BSPWM Not Starting

Postby it0 » 2020-03-15 11:07

Thank you for your reply! I saw and install the package but since the issue was the same, I was trying to go over the "manual" process to see if there was any difference.

I'll open the bug report and keep this updated to see if there's a solution.

Best regards
it0

Return to Desktop & Multimedia