Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

BSPWM Not Starting

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
it0

BSPWM Not Starting

#1 Post by it0 »

Hi experts, I hope you're all fine :D

I'm trying to test bspwm but I'm not being able to make it run. I currently have KDE Plasma desktop.

I've followed the steps provided in https://github.com/windelicato/dotfiles ... or-dummies including copying the config files and providing +x to both of them.

Also, I've copied /contrib/freedesktop/bspwm.desktop to /usr/share/xsessions/

Code: Select all

ls -lrt /usr/share/xsessions/
total 8
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2360 feb 14 21:05 plasma.desktop
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  104 mar 15 10:52 bspwm.desktop
When I enter on graphical mode, gddm offers me the manager that I want to run, but if I select bspwm it will just get freezed. It doesn't looks like there's a window manager waiting for commands or shortcuts.

If I open a second tty and come back to the first one is totally frozen on the boot sequence after [OK] Started Simple Desktop Display Manager.

I've searched on the forum + google but I'm stuck on how to move forward.

Any clues on how could I put this window manager to work?

Thanks a lot for your hellp.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: BSPWM Not Starting

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

it0 wrote:I've copied /contrib/freedesktop/bspwm.desktop to /usr/share/xsessions/
The Debian buster bspwm package already supplies /usr/share/xsessions/bspwm.desktop

I can't get it working either and nothing seems to be printed to either the journal or the X.Org log so I really don't know why it fails.

Open a bug report about it and ask the maintainer, they will probably be able to help: https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
deadbang

it0

Re: BSPWM Not Starting

#3 Post by it0 »

Thank you for your reply! I saw and install the package but since the issue was the same, I was trying to go over the "manual" process to see if there was any difference.

I'll open the bug report and keep this updated to see if there's a solution.

Best regards