GNOME Grpahical desktop enviroment is laggy/unusable

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

GNOME Grpahical desktop enviroment is laggy/unusable

Postby SivMonkey » 2020-03-17 03:49

Hi, i have had the issue with not even being able to get into the graphical desktop until i had to changes sources list and add backports and non-free contrib, So now i got my nvidia driver from all of that and now i can actually boot into a graphical dekstop... but now its so laggy... literally unusable. i cant move my mouse cursor anywhere i have to keep sliding my mouse over and over again just for it to move a inch across the desktop, when i open anything or absolutely anything to do with graphics being involved like anomations or just a simple bar loading from opening something it takes forever for my PC to load anything.. it takes 40 mins just to open a shell script... when i just tried to download linux nvidia driver off of the nvidia site.. cause i know its the driver i have from the backports or where ever it came from, contrib, non-free.. I included all of them in sources. anyways its literally unusable and i have a OC'ed i7 8700k at 4.7ghz 16gb ram 3200mhz nvidia geforce RTX 2070(vanilla) so the only thing that this could be in the driver i got from the sources. could anyone help me in getting the correct driver and how to install it through terminal because firefox is out of the question i cant even type a single character without it registering 20 times...

Thx, i know this was all jumbled and out of wack just frustrated so sorry for bad grammar. :(
SivMonkey

Re: GNOME Grpahical desktop enviroment is laggy/unusable

Postby Danielsan » 2020-03-17 15:22

First of all uninstall whatever driver you installed by yourself and if you modified the file xorg.conf rename it.

Then, based on your Debian, use the following wiki:

https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Basically you have to enable the non-free repository and install the driver, it is pretty trivial.
Danielsan

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-03-17 18:06

SivMonkey wrote:i have a OC'ed i7 8700k at 4.7ghz 16gb ram 3200mhz nvidia geforce RTX 2070(vanilla)

Is that an Optimus device?
Code: Select all
lspci -knn | grep -iA2 'vga\|display\|3d'

Have you tried the stock nouveau driver? It's quite good these days (apparently) but you will need the firmware-misc-nonfree package, which is also true for an Optimus system even if you're using the proprietary drivers.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Danielsan » 2020-03-17 18:17

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
SivMonkey wrote:i have a OC'ed i7 8700k at 4.7ghz 16gb ram 3200mhz nvidia geforce RTX 2070(vanilla)

Is that an Optimus device?
lspci -knn | grep -iA2 'vga\|display\|3d'

Have you tried the stock nouveau driver? It's quite good these days (apparently) but you will need the firmware-misc-nonfree package, which is also true for an Optimus system even if you're using the proprietary drivers.

I don't think nouveau supports a RTX2070, and it is just fine to handle decently Gnome-shell for the rest only the series 500 got reclocking support. He needs the binary driver from Nvidia.

EDIT

it is supported since January: NV164 (TU104) GeForce RTX (2070 Super, 2080, 2080 Super)

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... -Linux-5.0
Danielsan

Postby stevepusser » 2020-03-18 03:33

You could install inxi and give us the output of

inxi -Fxxz

in code tags like above. Then we could know what your hardware and driver situation actually is, rather than just guessing!
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kodi 18.6, Blender 2.8.2, 5.5 kernels, Chromium with va-api, Telegram-desktop 1.9.21, Clipgrab 3.8.11
stevepusser

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-03-18 19:04

stevepusser wrote:rather than just guessing

My posted command would list both the graphics cards and drivers. And with less output spam than inxi :P
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Desktop & Multimedia