Evolution or Thunderbird..but I want neither!

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Evolution or Thunderbird..but I want neither!

Postby xlepws » 2020-03-24 07:52

Hi, 5.4.19-1 running here.

I had Evolution installed. Purged it and the procedure installed Lightning and Thunderbird automatically.
If I want to purge these, I see that Evolution will come back

Code: Select all
root@debian02:/home/manu# apt purge lightning thunderbird
Lettura elenco dei pacchetti... Fatto
Generazione albero delle dipendenze       
Lettura informazioni sullo stato... Fatto
I seguenti pacchetti aggiuntivi saranno inoltre installati:
  bogofilter bogofilter-bdb bogofilter-common evolution evolution-common evolution-plugin-bogofilter evolution-plugin-pstimport
  evolution-plugins libevolution libgnome-autoar-0-0 libgnome-autoar-gtk-0-0 libpst4 libytnef0
Pacchetti suggeriti:
  db5.3-util doc-base evolution-ews evolution-plugins-experimental
I seguenti pacchetti saranno RIMOSSI:
  lightning* thunderbird*
I seguenti pacchetti NUOVI saranno installati:
  bogofilter bogofilter-bdb bogofilter-common evolution evolution-common evolution-plugin-bogofilter evolution-plugin-pstimport
  evolution-plugins libevolution libgnome-autoar-0-0 libgnome-autoar-gtk-0-0 libpst4 libytnef0

Why this? Can't I just run the system without calendar / email resident applications? I just want gmail & online friends :)
Thanks
xlepws

Re: Evolution or Thunderbird..but I want neither!

Postby Bloom » 2020-03-24 08:31

If you installed the Gnome desktop, it requires an e-mail program. Standard is Evolution. If you install Thunderbird, Evoluition is replaced by that. If you uninstall Thunderbird, Evolution is installed again to provide for an e-mail program. You could try installing Claws Mail (package claws-mail), that does only mail and no calendar or agenda. It is possible that Gnome won't recognize it as a valid replacement for Evolution. If it doesn't, you need to keep Evolution installed but you don't have to use it if you don't want to.
Bloom

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-03-24 10:26

First thought was set it to manually installed with apt-mark or one of the other ways to do so and then try removing it with the -s(simulate) switch ... ie:

Code: Select all
sudo apt remove thunderbird -s

Apt will show what would happen but doesn't actually do anything. Things look alright proceed, try in a virtual machine first etc. There's also an olden trick of using dummy pkgs to trick a gnu/nix install into thinking depends are all satisfied. Obviously with any approach somebody needs to use caution and not mess up core gnome pkgs. Found this link, although about Fedora has some really interesting info about the Gnome DE. All desktops in my experience can be drastically tuned/tweaked, still due to preferences and config'ing tastes nothing beats Openbox for me but plenty of graphical greatness in nix. Yet more of the awesomeness of Debian gnu/Linux (everything Nix) almost anything someone wants, probably ways to do it. Usually quickly-easily ... without over much effort. :)
Deb-fan

Postby trinidad » 2020-03-24 10:59

As you can see the evolution data server is part of gnome core, which is the minimal Debian gnome install. Without it there would be no way of sending/receiving internal system mail and a few other things that depend on the MIME type on a Debian system like i/e debsecan. No one says you have to use it as an Internet mail client but it needs to remain installed. I doubt that Webmail will work at all for you without it or thunderbird or some mail application because of file types. I don't use any Internet mail clients only Web mail setups like round-cube, gmail, etc. though I have evolution.

https://packages.debian.org/buster/gnome-core

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.
trinidad

Postby xlepws » 2020-03-24 12:41

thanks for your answers guys :)
xlepws

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-03-24 13:05

Welcome. :)

Guy in that link notes the role evolution has beyond an email client, though he's also working around it to great extent. Simply a matter of knowing the software, your graphical interface of choice on the operating system of choice. No doubt as outlined above many effective ways around or could even get rid of evolution or whatever w/o breaking gnome or any core functionality. Not a gnomologist though, don't have that much interest in it. All the time and development that's gone into am sure it's good stuff. Still gnome's mostly the same regardless of distro and gnu/nix the same too. So yeppers with learning and poking-prodding-testing much is possible. Despite what's commonly accepted.
Deb-fan

Postby kedaha » 2020-03-24 14:24

Most folks have a huge amount of disk space so it hardly matters such a client, installed on account of mega-package dependencies, is installed or not. If you are going to use some other email client like, for example, claws, why not leave Evolution and just hide it from the menu? I use the mate desktop myself when I can hide stuff I never use like "Universal access" and I suppose that can easily be done in Gnome too.
Out of sight, out of mind, as the saying goes.
Mate DE & OSSv4.
FreedomBox in Debian
ispmail
Debian Stable

Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality. Joseph Conrad.
Kedaha's Conjecture
kedaha

Return to Desktop & Multimedia