Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Neflix video to mp4 downloader for Debian

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
4joeyirosh1

Neflix video to mp4 downloader for Debian

#1 Post by 4joeyirosh1 »

I normally stream Netflix videos and at times I want to save some videos as a video file e.g in mp4 or mkv to watch later.

Is there a software in debian to do so or an online site where one can copy a neflix url and download the video to save as mp4 or mkv format?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Neflix video to mp4 downloader for Debian

#2 Post by sunrat »

That's probably illegal so would not be supported in this forum. I would guess you could do it somehow though.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

You'd have to break their copy protection, so it's definitely illegal in most jurisdictions. Someone must know how to do it on some OS, however, if you go by the pirated Netflix shows and movies available on the Net.
MX Linux packager and developer

4joeyirosh1

#4 Post by 4joeyirosh1 »

I think its legal and one can use Flixicam for Windows.Was asking if there is an equivalent for Linux

pylkko

#5 Post by pylkko »

Your statement is vague enough to be possibly both wrong and right at the same time. This is what I conclude from the internet site of Netflix themselves.

The agreement that you make with them when you register does not allow you to save or distribute their content. This means that the .mp4 and .mkv that you ask for would be illegal. However, they themselves offer some of their content for downloading, for temporary personal use (the downloaded files expire in some days after you press play). Furthermore, this comes with some restrictions, one of which is that you are not allowed to use those downloads if you end your contract with them nor on other devices (actually neither one of these are even possible, the files are encrypted). The downloaded file will not work if you move it anywhere else or try to play it with normal video software.

They offer their own app for doing this, which does not have a linux client. But since they do have a windows and android client, you could maybe use either of these with an emulator/virtual machine. But because of the nature of the agreement, I hardly believe anyone except netflix themselves can offer a legal way to download their content, and if they don't develop a linux client, you are out of luck since it is unlikely that people will develop a publicly visible open source software that so obviously does something illegal... However, if you email Netflix about it, maybe they might create a client for linux?

Flixicam the software that you mention - which ask for a monthly subscrption fee - is just a third party equivalent. You could also ask them to make a linux client.

celia1

#6 Post by celia1 »

I can't open Netflix as every time Netflix error code: m7111-1931-404. What should I do?

peer

#7 Post by peer »

But you always record it while playing on your pc.

pylkko

#8 Post by pylkko »

This is why DRM chips and tech are getting better and better. I imagine one day there will be a dedicated "netflix chip" in your intel mothervoard that has it's own RAM and all so that there is no way to capture the stream except record it with a camera :D

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/11 ... e-browser/
https://www.unified-streaming.com/blog/ ... tiple-keys

technically you can record the screen or the raw data from the RAM locations where it is decrypted. This is, however, is not legal in almost all jurisdictions.

it's already now at the point were 90% of the user would rather just pay the subscription fee and use the legal apps...