Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

VLC hangs in background (Buster)

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
mrspuck

VLC hangs in background (Buster)

#1 Post by mrspuck »

Hi,

Since upgrading to Buster, VLC will sometimes not terminate when I click the close button on the window (standard Gnome installation; X11). The effect is that when I quickly click through a couple of videos in Nautilus (mp4, avi, mkv), opening and closing one after the other, after 4 or 5 videos VLC will not start any more. This is because another VLC instance is still running in the background and I configured "single instance" in VLC. In order words, when I click "close" on the VLC window, the window closes, but sometimes VLC continues to run in the background.

Is anyone else seeing that problem too?

Thanks

arzgi

Re: VLC hangs in background (Buster)

#2 Post by arzgi »

I have not VLC installed, but recommend you to open terminal, start VLC from there, see if there are any error messages when try to close it.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

For what it's worth, there's also VLC 3.0.9.2 for Buster and Stretch in my custom multimedia backports repo, which won't possibly mess up your system like deb-multimedia. Go here and enter "vlc" in the search box.
MX Linux packager and developer

mrspuck

#4 Post by mrspuck »

arzgi wrote:I have not VLC installed, but recommend you to open terminal, start VLC from there, see if there are any error messages when try to close it.
Good point. In fact there was an error already when starting to play a video (but the videos played fine):

Code: Select all

[00007f57f8003420] glconv_vaapi_x11 gl error: vaDeriveImage: invalid VASurfaceID
[00007f57fc047740] main video output error: video output creation failed
[00007f5818c18fe0] main decoder error: failed to create video output
I then set video output in VLC from Automatic to XVideo(XCB) and the problem seems to be gone. As mentioned I am using X11, not Wayland; the reason being that Wayland crashes way to often on my machine.

Thanks for the hint!