Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] How to test riot.im video/ audio quality?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
shogun1234

[SOLVED] How to test riot.im video/ audio quality?

#1 Post by shogun1234 »

I want to replace im such as Skype with riot.im as my desktop instant message tool. And I also want to convince my friends to use it. But after searching with keywords such as riot.im video, I don't find good examples or videos on youtube that show the good quality communication (or video conference, audio call). Is anyone using riot.im for daily usage? Otherwise any tools (a bit like Skype's call testing service) that I can test video, audio quality (I don't find that kind of tools in riot.im Settings > Voice & Video)?

Thanks
Last edited by shogun1234 on 2020-05-17 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

pylkko

Re: How to test riot.im video/ audio quality?

#2 Post by pylkko »

I don't know what you mean with "the good quality video"? Like resolution or something?

I checked the snap app and, you are correct the settings does not have a preview type of thing. Perhaps you can suggest it. But I think a work around can be to use something like cheese. The settings are in any case the default system settings...

shogun1234

#3 Post by shogun1234 »

pylkko wrote:I don't know what you mean with "the good quality video"? Like resolution or something?

I checked the snap app and, you are correct the settings does not have a preview type of thing. Perhaps you can suggest it. But I think a work around can be to use something like cheese. The settings are in any case the default system settings...
Maybe what I want is more like testing whether the communication works or not. It's like Skype where in its setting area, there is a place or section that a user can test their camera and audio to see if they function or not. For instance, for camera I can see the video of myself. And the audio is something like the url https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y8jqSNR_Is&t=21s here. I guess the way how Skype provides might not fit into riot.im e.g. privacy concern, but just something or similar that I hope it might exist. This is because it happened several times that I tested my auido locally with some command line tools - the command line tools echoed my voice but when talking to my friends or doing video conf, the other side couldn't hear my voice at all. I do not mean to blame anything like OS, but I understand that it would be a bit harder to promote and convince my friends to use that because most of them don't know what command line and are not interested in that.

I will mark this as solved because I suppose as you suggested, I should suggest in matrix instead. Thanks for your help!

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

I don't have skype, so I don't know exactly what you are talking about, but is it like an actual service that you call, like a server in California or something that listens to your voice and tells you it can here it? If so, you maybe wont get that easily on a free service...

if it is just a video preview locally, this you can see with something like Cheese. Althoug I do agree that it would be nicere if it were written directly into the riot software. but this might already be in the works or you might suggest it to them.

shogun1234

#5 Post by shogun1234 »

I agree that the service that Skype provides might not be easily avail in free service like riot.im or something similar.

And thank you for the input. Will look into Cheese.
pylkko wrote:I don't have skype, so I don't know exactly what you are talking about, but is it like an actual service that you call, like a server in California or something that listens to your voice and tells you it can here it? If so, you maybe wont get that easily on a free service...

if it is just a video preview locally, this you can see with something like Cheese. Althoug I do agree that it would be nicere if it were written directly into the riot software. but this might already be in the works or you might suggest it to them.

pylkko

#6 Post by pylkko »

Because Cheese is open source code, the developers of riom.im could just copy paste the relevant parts to their software, if people ask for it.