[SOLVED] Desktop wont load after login

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

[SOLVED] Desktop wont load after login

Postby Dr Pepper » 2020-05-22 07:56

I have been experiencing this problem for about 2 days now, basically whenever I boot up my machine and get to the login
screen after I login when the desktop is supposed to appear nothing happens, all I have is my mouse and the background picture
for the login screen, to get my desktop to appear I have to switch to a TTY and back.

What I believed caused this is that one night I was doing trying to find a file using the find command in my terminal and a few directories from /etc were printed out
and I accidentally highlighted these directories (and their contents) and I don't exactly know what happened but I ended up pasting all of
the directories (and their contents) into my terminal and it as expected took it as input, my terminal freaked out a bit, and I thought nothing of it,
I had a look at my .bash_history looking at what pasted in there and I think I accidentally executed something in /etc/kernel or /etc/rc3.d

Stuff I tried to do to fix it:
Clear up my SSD, (because I read that having too little space could something similar)
Update all my packages,
reinstalled Lightdm,
and update grub (I got desperate)

If anyone needs more info I can provide,
also here is the large chunk of stuff I accidentally pasted into my terminal https://pastebin.com/PYZwH01Z (pastebin because it's quite large)
Last edited by Dr Pepper on 2020-05-22 10:09, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Pepper

Desktop wont load after login

Postby Yada » 2020-05-22 09:32

What's your DE/WM? Did you try backup all your config files and login as default configured? To do this, try login in a tty and "mv ~/.config{,.bak}", then login through lightdm. Or just add a new user and try login with the new user instead.
Yada

Re: Desktop wont load after login

Postby Dr Pepper » 2020-05-22 10:08

My DE is MATE and I just did the command you posted and rebooted and my problem was fixed, I will try and figure out what thing in my .config is causing this problem.
Anyway thanks :-)
Dr Pepper

Return to Desktop & Multimedia