Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Desktop wont load after login

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Dr Pepper

[SOLVED] Desktop wont load after login

#1 Post by Dr Pepper »

I have been experiencing this problem for about 2 days now, basically whenever I boot up my machine and get to the login
screen after I login when the desktop is supposed to appear nothing happens, all I have is my mouse and the background picture
for the login screen, to get my desktop to appear I have to switch to a TTY and back.

What I believed caused this is that one night I was doing trying to find a file using the find command in my terminal and a few directories from /etc were printed out
and I accidentally highlighted these directories (and their contents) and I don't exactly know what happened but I ended up pasting all of
the directories (and their contents) into my terminal and it as expected took it as input, my terminal freaked out a bit, and I thought nothing of it,
I had a look at my .bash_history looking at what pasted in there and I think I accidentally executed something in /etc/kernel or /etc/rc3.d

Stuff I tried to do to fix it:
Clear up my SSD, (because I read that having too little space could something similar)
Update all my packages,
reinstalled Lightdm,
and update grub (I got desperate)

If anyone needs more info I can provide,
also here is the large chunk of stuff I accidentally pasted into my terminal https://pastebin.com/PYZwH01Z (pastebin because it's quite large)
Last edited by Dr Pepper on 2020-05-22 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

Yada

Desktop wont load after login

#2 Post by Yada »

What's your DE/WM? Did you try backup all your config files and login as default configured? To do this, try login in a tty and "mv ~/.config{,.bak}", then login through lightdm. Or just add a new user and try login with the new user instead.

Dr Pepper

Re: Desktop wont load after login

#3 Post by Dr Pepper »

My DE is MATE and I just did the command you posted and rebooted and my problem was fixed, I will try and figure out what thing in my .config is causing this problem.
Anyway thanks :-)