Black background & foreground after fresh install

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Black background & foreground after fresh install

Postby w2tq » 2020-05-29 17:25

After installing Debian 10.4 with the KDE Plasma desktop on an older machine (32-bit, ASUS motherboard, P4 microprocessor, nVidia GeForce FX5200 graphics card), I can call up System Settings, but the dialog box is solid black. I can access Window Manager Settings, which brings up Configure - System Settings Module, but I am unable to change the color scheme. Also, the borders render as black. This has now happened twice for on two identical machines. Perhaps I cannot use KDE Plasma with this graphics card.

Suggestions for command line entries would be appreciated. And of course I will provide any additional information needed.

Sincerely,
In the Dark
w2tq

Re: Black background & foreground after fresh install

Postby shep » 2020-05-29 21:04

New in Debian 10 is a dark mode install option which installs "dark" themes
for Plasma, Gnome and XFCE4. You should also be able to install other themes and change to them.
I do not use KDE but here is a quick search result.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjjboRH1eNA
shep

Postby stevepusser » 2020-05-30 03:11

It would make Stallman roll over in his grave, especially since he's not dead, but have you tried the proprietary Nvidia driver if your card is supported?
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kodi 18.7, QMPlay2 20.07.04, Pale Moon 28.10.0, KeepassXC 2.6.0, Krita 4.3.0, Foliate 2.4.2
stevepusser

Postby sunrat » 2020-05-30 04:58

FX5200 was released in 2003 and the last driver was 2011 - https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverR ... 5482/en-us
A computer that old is likely to have a few things that don't work well any more. Definitely current KDE would struggle if it has less than 1GB of RAM (probably 2GB). It may run if you do a netinstall with a light window manager such as Fluxbox.
Interesting exercise to try to bring life to it though.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby w2tq » 2020-05-30 18:03

Thank you all for the replies. I'm attempting to install the legacy nVidia driver, but because I am not logged in as root (not just su - etc.), the system will not allow the installation. Although I was able to run the "sh etc." command for the package, I encounter an ld_path error and attempts to move the package or work around this fail. And attempts to enable login on boot up also fail.

I may need to reinstall the OS with root access and start over.

I am a long-time user of openSuSE (about 15 years), so I have some familiarity with Linux. But this is a new and so far insurmountable challenge.

Thanks again.
w2tq

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-05-31 06:26

You don't need to re-install just to get root access, but you do need to clarify this better:
I am not logged in as root (not just su - etc.), the system will not allow the installation.

It is a entirely different topic, but you will need to either use "sudo", or "su - , to do the driver installation.
What is not clear is why su - or sudo is not working for you ? Did you not set a root password when you installed ? please clarify on that.
If 'sudo' is working, you can set the root password like this:
from:https://phoenixnap.com/kb/how-to-change-root-password-linuxStep 2: Change Your Root Password

In the terminal window, type the following:
Code: Select all
sudo passwd root
The system will prompt you to enter your password – this is the same password you use to log in to the system.

Next, the system will prompt you to enter a new password. Do so, and then re-enter it exactly the same when the system prompts you to retype the password. This double-entry confirms that you have typed the password correctly.

If sudo does not work for some reason, you will need to use this method, it is more complex , steps, so it is easier for me to just post the link to some instructions, (below)===:
This : https://www.tecmint.com/reset-forgotten-root-password-in-debian/ works just fine, if you follow it exactly, sadly they have to many adds, but I suppose that is how they cover the expenses of maintaining the website.
If you don't like that tutorial, there are many others, Keywords:
Code: Select all
How to set or reset the root password, on Debian after installation 
copy/paste into a search engine will give many other tutorials as well, most, if not all of them work. (those are the keywords I use), I never can remember exactly how to set the root password, it is not something I need to do everyday. But any way, there you go, there is no need to re-install.
I don't care about your experiences with opensuse, that is not relevant, we seem to be getting a lot of posts/newmembers the last few days, saying they used or were using opensuse, but opensuse is not Debian, so that really does not count for anything, in any event your Linux experience is useful.
It does seem odd to me,
15 years), so I have some familiarity with Linux.
All those years, and you have not learned how to use a search engine, ?
===edit, P.S.
If one of the above solutions work, no need to clarify anything, but if they don't work, we will need better details on how you installed, etc, and probably it would be better to start a new topic, on how to get root access or login as root.....you will need to solve this problem before you can do much of anything else.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Google knows a lot,
God, our Father knows all, maybe ask Him ,
…one flew east, one flew west,
One flew over the cuckoo’s nest.

I am not the right colour, so my life does not matter ?
to God it does :)
cuckooflew

Postby stevepusser » 2020-05-31 06:46

Just be aware that the older legacy drivers (304xx and earlier) can no longer be used in Debian Stable.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Kodi 18.7, QMPlay2 20.07.04, Pale Moon 28.10.0, KeepassXC 2.6.0, Krita 4.3.0, Foliate 2.4.2
stevepusser

Postby sunrat » 2020-05-31 11:02

That card (NV30 series) is listed as supported by nouveau - https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/ so graphics driver is possibly not the issue.
But as I said earlier, a system that old may not have enough RAM to run KDE.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Return to Desktop & Multimedia