Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Open/edit watch face file Mi Band 4

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Scorpion

Open/edit watch face file Mi Band 4

#1 Post by Scorpion »

I downloaded some watch faces files, custom themes for Mi Band 4 https://amazfitwatchfaces.com/mi-band-4 ... ltilingual.
The system saw this files as "Sega CD disc image", these files are .bin.

What app can open it? It suggests gnome-games but it doesn' t seem the appropriate app.
I tried archive manager.

I also tried the editor with wine, but it works bad https://amazfitwatchfaces.com/forum/vie ... f=29&t=890.

pylkko

Re: Open/edit watch face file Mi Band 4

#2 Post by pylkko »

.bin files are executables which you do not normally open with a software. i.e you just run them

Scorpion

#3 Post by Scorpion »

But these .bin are made by many files, if I can open one I can change the background image at least.

If I open them with archive manager, it states that are stuffit archives.
So I installed unar but:
Couldn't recognize the archive format.
I don' t think that are standard stuffit archives.

Maybe this https://amazfitwatchfaces.com/forum/vie ... 6049#p6049 with wine, I will check.

cuckooflew

#4 Post by cuckooflew »

I use hexedit for .bin files, but I am not sure if it will do you any good with these,..a quick glance at the links you post appears that these are some kind of MS windows specific files, and I am not familiar with that. On linux and Unix files systems hexedit is a good tool for .bin files.
hexedit can be used by programmers in several activities. It also is useful for debugging, forensics investigations and recovering from digital disasters.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

Scorpion

#5 Post by Scorpion »

It is a CLI package that opens an hex(?) editor I can see numbers and letters but I need to change an image.

cuckooflew

#6 Post by cuckooflew »

A editor is used to do that. You can (change) edit it . But I am wondering what this has to do with Debian, besides the fact that you happen to be using Debian. You might get better help on the forum you link to or the one they pointed you to.
Or,do some searches, and learn how to use the tools available for Linux, or Debian, editing images, including .bin images, and files that contain them, There also are some on-line sites that convert .png to .bin, and vice verse.
What image do you need to change ? Can you show it here ? What changes ? HInt, after you convert a .bin file to .png (for example), you can then use ImageMagick, Gimp, Tuxpaint, or what ever, make the changes you want, then convert it back to .bin . If the image contains code that is executable, be sure to leave that in tact.
=========
Here is a couple of links, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMG_(file_format)
The CUE/BIN format stores disc images in .bin files, which are functionally equivalent to .img image files, and uses .cue files as descriptor files
==============
Well, sorry, just this one for now,...
==========edit===
Well, I did find that there seems to be several programs available for MS windows, they are for working with those kind of images, but the programs are not for free, they are commercial software, and besides that since this is Debian Users Forums, and not windows users forum, it would not be appropriate to post links to them. There might be some better programs for Linux, then hexedit, and Image Magick, but again, some people think it is bad if I do any searches for other members , so guess your on your own, unless someone else here knows something off hand, sorry I can't be of more help. :(
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Open a jpeg image file with a hex editor, and all you'll see are numbers are numbers and letters, too. That's machine language, i.e. a binary file! What did you expect? You need some program especially crafted to understand and open that particular type of bin file in order to actually edit it.

Lots of companies called different sorts of files .bin files. Chalk it up to the good old days of Windows confusion and no "magic numbers" to identify the actual file types like *nix uses.
MX Linux packager and developer