Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 10, desktop background garbled

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
jwsarge2

Debian 10, desktop background garbled

#1 Post by jwsarge2 »

Good afternoon,
Recently upgraded to Debian 10 from Mint 19.3, after I log in the resulting desktop background is a horizontal garbled mess and completely useless. Only way to do anything is via the terminal mode command line.
MB: MSI MS-7252
Bios: AMI V 02.59
Graphic card: Quadro NVS 210S/Geoforce 6150LE
Recommended Driver: Nvidia 304.137

Problem is the recommended Nvidia driver was not supported in this version of Debian, last in Stretch. Any input on how to get my display working after I log in will be most appreciated. As I can only use command line please keep this in mind when making suggestions. Thank in advance....
R/John
R/jwsarge2

On the side of the box for OS requirements was written "WIN9X or better" so I installed Debian/GNU Linux.

jwsarge2

Re: Debian 10, desktop background garbled

#2 Post by jwsarge2 »

PS: That was Debian 10, Mate, which i installed.
R/jwsarge2

On the side of the box for OS requirements was written "WIN9X or better" so I installed Debian/GNU Linux.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Have you tried the nouveau driver?
deadbang

jwsarge2

#4 Post by jwsarge2 »

Good afternoon,

Head on a Stick, the nouveau driver, which is the default installed video driver, is the one currently in use. I recall awhile back when installing a different (and slightly older) OS on this same box to get the card to work I had to install the recommended nvidia 304 driver and turn off the nouveau driver that again was the default driver installed.

I suspect the issue has to do with the fact that the DE originally installed was Mate. Since then in my troubleshooting efforts I installed xfce and gnome, both of which have no problems. So Mate, which per my graphics card a Geoforce 6150LE that requires the Nvidia 304.137 driver that is no longer supported by Debian since Streech, apparently has issues with the nouveau driver that comes with Buster. If anyone knows how to tweak the system so the nouveau driver will work please advise. Alternatively, if anyone knows how to install the old legacy nvidia driver in Buster please advise. Thanks again to all, have a nice week.
R/jwsarge2

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

The 304xx legacy driver will not work with the xorg version in Buster or newer. Stretch will still be supported for a few more years, though. Do you remember what driver and desktop you were using in Mint? GNOME is usually the most demanding desktop, so it's a bit odd that it has no issues.

Do you mean that just the wallpaper is mangled in Mate, or the whole UI? I think wallpaper when I see "desktop background".
MX Linux packager and developer

jwsarge2

#6 Post by jwsarge2 »

The Mate Desktop itself is what is garbled. Never got to where I could mess with or even see a background wallpaper. Last time before I upgraded to Buster was an Ubuntu Mint ver 19.3, and the driver was Nvidia 304xx legacy driver, worked fine.
R/jwsarge2

Scorpion

#7 Post by Scorpion »

Is possible that nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver works?

If you install the 304xx from sid https://packages.debian.org/sid/nvidia- ... 4xx-driver, it seems that it doesn' t work http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... xx#p711002.

Installing directly from the nvidia's site can be a solution? You will have to reinstall it if you change kernel.
stevepusser wrote:The 304xx legacy driver will not work with the xorg version in Buster or newer. Stretch will still be supported for a few more years, though. Do you remember what driver and desktop you were using in Mint? GNOME is usually the most demanding desktop, so it's a bit odd that it has no issues.

Do you mean that just the wallpaper is mangled in Mate, or the whole UI? I think wallpaper when I see "desktop background".
"The 304xx legacy driver will not work with the xorg", do you use mate?
Does mate have other options besides xorg? Maybe something will work.

jwsarge2

#8 Post by jwsarge2 »

Good morning all,

I gave up and went back to using Mint 19.3 (mint 20 had the same issue that Debian 10 had). :(
R/jwsarge2