How to make a wine application run on multiple processors

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Postby 4joeyirosh1 » 2020-08-17 18:26

Hallo!I have Wine installed on my Debian 10.5 Buster Linux on an i5 laptop

I am running a heavy Windows application on the wine and every time the application consumes 100% of one of the CPU cores and stalls forcing me to terminate the application every time.

Is there a way to make wine applications run on more than one CPU core or use the core more efficiently without hogging 100% of a core?
4joeyirosh1

Re: How to make a wine application run on multiple processor

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-08-17 19:46

Couple that pop into mind, cgroups possibly, the nice or renice cmds to fiddle with processes priorities. Know next to nothing about WINE but all this suggests something is misconfigured as i doubt whatever you're doing is designed to do that, max out a core and crash. Just saying check your work laddie. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan

Postby LE_746F6D617A7A69 » 2020-08-18 22:23

4joeyirosh1 wrote:I am running a heavy Windows application on the wine and every time the application consumes 100% of one of the CPU cores and stalls forcing me to terminate the application every time.
This means a bug in wine or in that mysterious "heavy Windows application". You can report a bug to WineHQ, but nobody will care if that app is not widely used.

You can also debug the wine Yourself, to see f.e. what WINEDLLOVERRIDES the app may require.
WINEDEBUG
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed
LE_746F6D617A7A69

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-08-18 23:33

You know, if it was me, but it isn't, but any way, if it was, I would do a search, like this:
Copy / paste into search engine:
Code: Select all

The very first hit:
https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=6507
When running applications with WINE. how many cpus can it see and use?

All of them. However not all parts of Wine are multithreaded so your program might not really benefit from all CPUs/cores.

At least in that thread the OP also mentions what the "heavy program"is ,.... But it seems logical to me , If I used wine, but I don't, but if I did, I would ask the people at "wineHQ", about how, what, and etc,....in relation to this program.
So any way:
Is there a way to make wine applications run on more than one CPU core or use the core more efficiently without hogging 100% of a core?
Apparently there is a way, and the above link goes into the "how to" part,...there also are quite a few other results with details as well.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!
cuckooflew

Return to Desktop & Multimedia