[SOLVED]BUSTER:MATE Xfburn writes to CD but DVD write fails

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

[SOLVED]BUSTER:MATE Xfburn writes to CD but DVD write fails

Postby geoffkaniuk » 2020-08-23 12:44

This is a continuation of a problem I had in stretch Caja fails to copy file to DVD.

I have installed Xfburn in buster. I can write/read data on 700MB CD; read data on 4.7GB DVD but can not write data to a blank DVD. When I insert a blank DVD into the drive I get the Unable to mount Blank DVD-R Disc message along with the Blank DVD-R Disc icon and a no applications found message.

I have established that my optical drive can read and write DVD from:
Code: Select all
/$ more /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info
CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.20 2003/12/17

drive name:      sr0
drive speed:      12
drive # of slots:   1
Can close tray:      1
Can open tray:      1
Can lock tray:      1
Can change speed:   1
Can select disk:   0
Can read multisession:   1
Can read MCN:      1
Reports media changed:   1
Can play audio:      1
Can write CD-R:      1
Can write CD-RW:   1
Can read DVD:      1
Can write DVD-R:   1
Can write DVD-RAM:   1

I believe that dmesg shows that my drive was detected:
# dmesg | egrep -i --color 'cdrom|dvd|cd/rw|writer'
[    1.874914] sr 2:0:0:0: [sr0] scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/12x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
[    1.874919] cdrom: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

There are several symbolic links to sr0:
# ls -lF /dev | grep -F 'sr0'
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 Aug 23 11:41 cdrom -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 Aug 23 11:41 cdrw -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 Aug 23 11:41 dvd -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 Aug 23 11:41 dvdrw -> sr0
brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom    11,   0 Aug 23 11:41 sr0

The following is an extract from my fstab file:
/# cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
   <file system> <mount point>   <type>        <options>     <dump>  <pass>
   /dev/sr0      /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660   user,noauto   0        0

I am wondering if my fstab file is correctly configured to write to both CD and DVD? Any help in fixing this will be most welcome!
Last edited by geoffkaniuk on 2020-08-25 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
geoffkaniuk

Re: BUSTER:MATE Xfburn writes to CD but DVD write fails

Postby peter_irich » 2020-08-23 18:59

I think fstab is right, try write DVD by growisofs. In /dev must be symlinks to /dev/sr0, but you can point /dev/sr0 directly
in growisofs calling, if those symlinks are absents.
peter_irich

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-08-23 19:21

Total shot in dark but what packages related to dvd's are installed on your OS? Try "dpkg -l *dvd*" no quotes, to list them. In particular wondering if you have libdvd-pkg but what else or dont you have? Is the drive even capable of writing dvd's, some are read only, not read/write etc. Random thoughts.

Ps, oops .. Say you've established drive is capable of rw-dvd's, might confirm with another distro iso live session, Linux Mint etc? Still guessing it's just missing software, poss a setting in the burn util(xfburn), might also try another util, others than xfburn.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan

Postby geoffkaniuk » 2020-08-24 13:55

Thanks for the suggestion to run growisofs - it works in buster, but it did not in stretch. For the record, I have a directory ../live containing image files for Buster and Mate along with other text files. The following commands completed successfully:
~$ growisofs -dry-run -Z /dev/dvd live/*
~$ growisofs -Z /dev/dvd live/*
~$ echo $?

So now the question remains: who is interfering with Xfburn: Mate?, Gtk? I have found almost no config files associated with Xfburn. I have checked back against the dependencies listed for Xfburn and of course all the libraries are installed.

By the way, if I plug in an iso USB drive I get the same "no application found" message I showed earlier.
Geoff
geoffkaniuk

Postby shep » 2020-08-24 17:15

There are two backends for CD burning in debian:
genisoimage and xorriso

https://wiki.debian.org/BurnCd
manual page links at the bottom of the BurnCD wiki.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Optical_disc_drive

Xfburn uses xorriso.

growisofs is from dvd-rw tools which uses genisoimage/cdrskin in its toolchain.

The process is actually two steps: 1) create a cd9660 formatted image. 2) burn the image to the disk.
GUI front ends default to creating the cd9660 image which is then piped to the burner.

To troubleshoot, I would recommend choosing one backend and reading its manual page. They have copy/paste commands to burn and you will get terminal error messages. Also do it in 2 steps to help narrow where you are having the problem.
shep

Postby geoffkaniuk » 2020-08-24 21:24

It is useful to know that xfburn uses xorriso - not mentioned in the manual, or in its package dependencies? I think the issue starts when one inserts a blank disk. - maybe caja is responsible for that?

I experimented with running xfburn from the command line in this sequence:
1. Dismiss all the error messages that appear on the desktop when the disc is inserted.
2. ~$ xfburn -b to show the blank disc dialog.
   ^C
3. ~$ xfburn --help-gtk  Nothing obvious here
4. ~$ xfburn --main
~$ xfburn --main
    BLOCK CARET
   Now the xfburn main screen shows as expected.
   I make a 'New Data Composition'  using drag and drop.
   I then  'Proceed to Burn'
   Once completed, the disc is ejected. On closing the main screen, the CLI shows:
(xfburn:1258): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 22:01:36.541: invalid cast from 'GstDiscoverer' to 'GstObject'

I am not sure what has changed, but when I tried again to run from GUI, dismissed error messages, then loaded xfburn from desktop all looks good and succeeded with a dry run. So perhaps now the only problem left is those annoying error messages that pop up when one loads a disc?

One last observation:
Whenever there is no disc, or a or a blank disc is inserted, /media/cdrom0 always shows files I was attempting to copy 10 days ago. I wonder if this is the cause of the problem, and is it safe to delete them?
Geoff
geoffkaniuk

Postby shep » 2020-08-25 13:13

Most Desktop environments allow you to set a default action for removable media. If you plan to do frequent cd/dvd creation, I would disable automount/open in file manager. Otherwise, just remember to unmount prior to running xfburn.
shep

Postby geoffkaniuk » 2020-08-25 17:17

Yes @shep, thanks - that worked :D. In caja.Edit.Preferences there is a Media tab which has an option "Never prompt or start programs on media insertion." When I set that to true, and then reboot, the messages have been suppressed!

I had tried to hunt down a configuration file for caja but the only relevant one I found is a system file:
/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.mate.media-handling.gschema.xml

As expected, this is not updated. If anyone knows where the changes to Mate's configurations are stored, I would really like to know (so far not in .config, or .local/share).
Geoff
geoffkaniuk

Re: [SOLVED]BUSTER:MATE Xfburn writes to CD but DVD write fa

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-08-26 02:00

I used these key words:
where the changes to Mate's configurations are stored,

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/443784/where-does-caja-put-its-preferences
The above is 2 year old, might help , but there also were many other results, I did not look at them.
From the above link:
A lot of caja's info and settings can usually be found stored in a dconf GVariant database (a binary file), the same as many other GUI programs use. The file is likely stored in ~/.config/dconf/user.----snip---

Also see:
man dconf

DESCRIPTION
The dconf program can perform various operations on a dconf database,
such as reading or writing individual values or entire directories.
This tool operates on dconf directly, without using gsettings schema
information. Therefore, it cannot perform type and consistency checks
on values. The gsettings(1) utility is an alternative if such checks
are needed.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!
cuckooflew

Postby geoffkaniuk » 2020-08-26 21:19

cuckooflew wrote: ... snip The file is likely stored in ~/.config/dconf/user.----snip---

Yes I have met that file, but of course could not open it - nice now to know why!

Also see:
man dconf

On my desktop, the entry to dconf is via dconf-editor, which does have a manual, saying almost nothing of value. I do not have a manual for dconf.

I often find that dconf misses out some of the most important features. In the case of the failure to write to DVD, I did consult dconf, but there was no entry for media. However in the caja preferences media tab, the display is populated with various possible media. But for the DVD entries no applications were proposed - even though Xfburn is installed!
Geoff
geoffkaniuk

Postby cuckooflew » 2020-08-26 22:23

On my desktop, the entry to dconf is via dconf-editor, which does have a manual, saying almost nothing of value. I do not have a manual for dconf.

Ok, well my "desktop" is not Debian, and it does have the manual, I just checked, and your right, seems like they don't include some other packages ,...this could be a different topic,
But any way, try:
# apt install dconf-cli
You should then also have a manual, (if you want it).
Did you read the details in the link I posted, they go into more details on what dconf is (tool), and what it can be used for,..
I did consult dconf, but there was no entry for media.

I am not sure what you mean here, but any way since this is solved, maybe it would be a different topic any way....?
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!
cuckooflew

Return to Desktop & Multimedia