Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Best desktop for WINE (Resolved)

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Gnigma

Best desktop for WINE (Resolved)

#1 Post by Gnigma »

I'm running Debian 10 on an ASUS laptop. I have no current complaints about it. I am a writer, and I use some Win 10 self publishing software. I can't find anything like that for Linux, so I have a dual boot with Win 10. That's about all I use it for. Which desktop will install and run WINE? I have read all the posts I can find about Wayland/Gnome blocking the WINE install, and it always says to disable Wayland, though I can't find out how to do that. Anyway, I thought that maybe I can switch to another desktop environment that WINE doesn't have a problem with. I've also thought of running a Win desktop in VMBox on a different workspace. Then I got to thinking about running a different desktop in a second workspace--- if nothing else, I guess I could run a second Debian VM with the WINE-friendly desktop environment. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Gnigma on 2020-08-30 21:31, edited 1 time in total.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Best desktop for WINE

#2 Post by CwF »

Gnigma wrote:if nothing else, I guess I could run a second Debian VM with the WINE
That would be a last choice. How about a Win10 VM, that would be first choice.

Gnigma

#3 Post by Gnigma »

Oh, I know that's not optimal, and I'm trying to bypass all of that , but I can't get Scribus to install either. It keeps saying: E: Malformed entry 26 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list (Component)
E: The list of sources could not be read.

Waiting for the download to finish. Maybe It'll install from CD.

neuraleskimo

#4 Post by neuraleskimo »

Gnigma wrote:Which desktop will install and run WINE? I have read all the posts I can find about Wayland/Gnome blocking the WINE install, and it always says to disable Wayland, though I can't find out how to do that. [deleted ]Any thoughts?
I am running Gnome (sometimes with Wayland and sometimes with X) and using wine. I am not having problems. Have you actually tried it? It might work. If it doesn't, starting a new thread with the specific error might get you further.

Anyway, using X is a simple matter. At the login screen, there is a little gear icon near the "log on" button. Click that and select Xorg (or whatever it says exactly). Because Zoom screen sharing doesn't work under Wayland, I frequently do this myself.

Good luck!

cuckooflew

#5 Post by cuckooflew »

I don't think "wine" is DE specific, it should run the same no matter what DE you use, but keep in mind, Windows software is for windows, and does not usually work well to start with, you will not get better results just because it is on a better host , using wine.
As far as "best desktop" goes, that is a matter of opinion every one thinks the one they use is the best, that is why they use it.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#6 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Gnigma wrote:I am a writer, and I use some Win 10 self publishing software. I can't find anything like that for Linux, so I have a dual boot with Win 10.
If You can't find or don't want to learn linux-specific alternatives, then You should just keep using winblows.
WINE is not a perfect win API emulator and it often suffers from regressions - it requires some experience to solve problems with windows applications, installers or with the WINE itself (like installing native dlls).
Gnigma wrote:(...) I'm trying to bypass all of that , but I can't get Scribus to install either. It keeps saying: E: Malformed entry 26 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list (Component)
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Scribus seems to be a very good starting point, but obviously there's something wrong with Your Debian install. This needs to be fixed first.
Can You show the content of Your sources.list - so we can see what's wrong with it?
Use the following command in the terminal:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

cuckooflew

#8 Post by cuckooflew »

Gnigma>>> and it always says to disable Wayland, though I can't find out how to do that.
I don't understand why you can't find out how to disable wayland, there is documentation on doing that, it is a common issue , some people don't want it.
Did you try

Code: Select all

How to disable wayland on Debian  
as keywords in a search ?
https://wiki.debian.org/Wayland
Display Managers

GDM3

GDM (GNOME Display Manager) will automatically use Wayland when supported, except when using the proprietary NVIDIA driver, in which case it will fall back to X11 due to instability.

To use the X11 backend by default, uncomment the WaylandEnable=false line in the /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf file.
Also "scribus" is pretty good, I used it a little while for some projects, but I really don't know how it compares with "some Win 10 self publishing software", never have used any of that. The reason I had to use scribus was because the other persons were using some kind of MS crap ware, and I need something could work with that...
As for actual writing, a simple text editor , in my opinion is best. I like "leafpad" but there are many others that are just as good. But that is because when I write, I like to just type the text, and not interrupt my thoughts, with lot's of distractions (bells and whistles),... besides that is another topic.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

Gnigma

#9 Post by Gnigma »

Actually, WINE's dependencies are what won't install. When I try to run this:
wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... 0-0_2.0.9+
dfsg1-1_amd64.deb,

It seems to work, but then, when I put in:
dpkg -i libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.9+dfsg1-1_amd64.deb

I get:

dpkg -i libsdl2-2.0-0_2.0.9+dfsg1_amd64.deb
dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable
Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and /sbin

At some point I read that I have to disable Wayland to get it to work. Anyway, that's where I'm stuck, even after correcting the Sources list. I'm not really sure I even WANT WINE. I don't play Windoze games, or anything. It would only be for the Publishing program. That gets me back to Scribus, which also won't install.

Addendum: After cleaning up the Sources list, the Scribus program installed and is running well, so I really have no need for WINE. As Buddah said, "simplify." Thanks for the help! Now I just have to uninstall the WINE components...