[^]BUSTER:MATE: desktop issues in search-tool, caja, pluma.

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

[^]BUSTER:MATE: desktop issues in search-tool, caja, pluma.

Postby geoffkaniuk » 2020-09-04 13:38

I have several buster+mate issues following my upgrade from stretch. My display manager is lightdm.

Some, (but not all) of my issues include:
Code: Select all
mate-search-tool: Fails to find files with known content.
caja:             Seems to spend a lot of time indexing?
pluma:            Does not render directory icons in save dialogue.

I wonder if some of these may be because old local config files from stretch are in use. Is there perhaps a way to reset all local config to installation defaults - as if Mate was installed from scratch?

What I have done so far:
Changed my theme:          Was a custom theme, now TraditionalOk with no change of settings.
Examined dconf-editor:     Nothing useful there.
Exmined .xsession-errors:  There are mate-terminal Gtk-CRITICAL errors.
Run gksu mate-search-tool. I know that gksu is obsoleted, but sudo all the time?

I will of course post details of the issues in due course. I would really appreciate hearing from you if you have any issues like these in Mate.

EDIT [^] reporting solved 15/09/20
Following some useful advice from kedaha and #debian, I have resolved most of the issues mentioned here. Firstly, I confirmed that creating a new user gives a pristine Mate desktop with few visible issues on my basic tests. I summarise my steps here in the hope that it may be of use to others, who like me, are faced with doing this for the first time.
    1. Make a local backup copy of all dot files.
    2. Create a local empty directory say dot-config.
    3. Log out.
    4. Get a linux Console using CTRL+ALT+F3.
    5. Login to Console as a normal user.
    6. Move all dot files into dot-config. (I did this with a script to avoid any possible issues with rm .*)
    7. Log out of Console using CTRL+ALT+F7.
    8. The greeter is displayed and you can log in to your normal user.
At this stage you will have a bare-bones Mate desktop and you can start reconfiguring. I copied many of my dot-config files to $HOME, so for these, no actual re-configuring was needed. There are still some niggling issues left, mostly to do with GTK and themes I think. But the basic Mate desktop so far is an improvement on what I had :D

If you think that any of my steps are misleading or unclear, then let me know and I will edit this.
Last edited by geoffkaniuk on 2020-09-15 21:08, edited 2 times in total.
Geoff
geoffkaniuk

Re: BUSTER:MATE: desktop issues in search-tool, caja, pluma.

Postby kedaha » 2020-09-04 15:24

Hi,
Create another user and try that?
"Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member".—Groucho Marx
kedaha

Postby geoffkaniuk » 2020-09-07 17:40

kedaha wrote:Hi, Create another user and try that?

As I am running a single-user system, I never considered that - many thanks! In Jessie there used to be a 'Users and Groups' applet, but that has vanished in Buster. So I created a normal user via sudo adduser and then added 'newgeoff' to sudoers with NOPASSWD. My initial experiments were very successful and many of the issues are cleared for 'newgeoff' :D .

At first sight, the next steps seem straightforward: Re-create and re-populate my panels. Copy across /home/geoff but omitting all the dot files. I should now have a good working 'newgeoff' without any Mate problems.

I have noticed however that there are still elements left over from the original upgrade. In particular gksu is still used in the Root Terminal applet. On 'geoff', mate-system-log is launched via gksu, but not in 'newgeoff'. I have been advised not to use gksu as it has been obsoleted.

Getting 'newgeoff' renamed to 'geoff' required more delving into adduser, usermod, and deluser. To experiment, I succeeded in creating/deleting users from 'newgeoff', but not renaming.

With the amount of work needed to set up a good mate desktop for 'geoff', it occurs to me that a simpler and safer route might be to re-install Mate (following the advice in DontBreakDebian!)
Purge mate-desktop and its utilities completely.
Check obsoletes again and remove any mate-specific libraries.
Install mate-desktop and a selection of utilities.

I am encouraged in this, as I see in our forums that there are a few discussions uninstalling mate. There is also a clear description in
Ubuntu-How to remove mate-desktop. These problems could probably have been avoided by first examining the changes in mate-desktop via Planet mate?

Suppose now I have removed the Mate desktop, kept lightdm installed, and logged out. One question springs to mind:

When I reboot will I see a greeter and then a command prompt?

I will appreciate it hugely if you let me know of any important steps that I may have missed!
Geoff
geoffkaniuk

Postby kedaha » 2020-09-09 08:32

geoffkaniuk wrote:In Jessie there used to be a 'Users and Groups' applet, but that has vanished in Buster.

In my Buster mate desktop there is a 'Users and Groups' applet under System -> Administration
The terminal command is:
users-admin
geoffkaniuk wrote:[ ...]I have noticed however that there are still elements left over from the original upgrade. In particular gksu is still used in the Root Terminal applet. On 'geoff', mate-system-log is launched via gksu, but not in 'newgeoff'. I have been advised not to use gksu as it has been obsoleted.

Same here. Launching mate-system-log with gksu is overkill on a desktop unless there's any reason to stop some other user from viewing the logs.
geoffkaniuk wrote:With the amount of work needed to set up a good mate desktop for 'geoff', it occurs to me that a simpler and safer route might be to re-install Mate

It didn't require much work for me but I just stick with the defaults.
I take it you have mate-desktop-environment-extras installed?
geoffkaniuk wrote:I am encouraged in this, as I see in our forums that there are a few discussions uninstalling mate. There is also a clear description in
Ubuntu-How to remove mate-desktop. These problems could probably have been avoided by first examining the changes in mate-desktop via Planet mate?

Not sure; I'll have a look at it later.
geoffkaniuk wrote:Suppose now I have removed the Mate desktop, kept lightdm installed, and logged out. One question springs to mind:
When I reboot will I see a greeter and then a command prompt?

Yes, I'm pretty sure you would. But that doesn't matter because, as you know, you can got to a tty with, for example ALT CNTRL F1 to install packages and configure your system.
One other thing I might comment on is that you might consider using slim, described as "a desktop-independent graphical login manager for X11" rather than lightdm which I tried myself in another system and liked.
"Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member".—Groucho Marx
kedaha

Postby geoffkaniuk » 2020-09-09 15:07

kedaha wrote:In my Buster mate desktop there is a 'Users and Groups' applet under System -> Administration.

It is not in mine, but then I am missing gnome-system-tools. I also do not have mate-desktop-environment-extras. It has a lot of recommends, and some of those I do have.

The caja-admin package looks interesting in view of the obsolete gksu that was used to run Root Terminal in stretch. I am about to remove gksu and have been wondering what its replacement would be. I would be very interested to know if you still have the Root Terminal applet, and what the Exec command in its .desktop file is.

I have been trying out Linux console - I have not needed to use it much. Nano seems to be different to what I am used to. There is interesting Archlinux documentation for SLiM .
Geoff
geoffkaniuk

Postby kedaha » 2020-09-10 09:48

geoffkaniuk wrote:The caja-admin package looks interesting in view of the obsolete gksu that was used to run Root Terminal in stretch. I am about to remove gksu and have been wondering what its replacement would be. I would be very interested to know if you still have the Root Terminal applet, and what the Exec command in its .desktop file is.

No, I definitely don't still have the root terminal applet in Buster. In fact I've never used it myself and would edit the menu to remove it from view. I always use the mate teminal, which, by the way, I customize to green on black and su - to root.
geoffkaniuk wrote:I have been trying out Linux console - I have not needed to use it much. Nano seems to be different to what I am used to. There is interesting Archlinux documentation for SLiM .

Thanks for the link.
I mentioned that I am using slim for another OS and will probably change from lightdm for my buster system. Head_on_a_Stick wrote in some post a while back that lightdm runs X as root, which would make slim a better choice.
kedaha

Postby fennmart » 2020-09-15 14:52

Nice to see this post here and thanks for sharing this to us.
fennmart

Postby CwF » 2020-09-15 16:28

geoffkaniuk wrote:remove gksu and have been wondering what its replacement would be

pkexec
I still have and use a root terminal in bullseye, since stretch.
CwF

Return to Desktop & Multimedia