Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Screensaver at login?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
stim141

Screensaver at login?

#1 Post by stim141 »

Been running the latest stable version for about a week but noticed that the screensaver is not activated at the login screen. Was running Fedora Core 4 which does allow monitor DPMS and screensaver. Is there a way to add it?

dawgie

Re: Screensaver at login?

#2 Post by dawgie »

stim141 wrote:Been running the latest stable version for about a week but noticed that the screensaver is not activated at the login screen. Was running Fedora Core 4 which does allow monitor DPMS and screensaver. Is there a way to add it?
For DPMS, edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
Look for the "Monitor" section to add Option "DPMS":

Mine looks like this:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Selected Monitor"
HorizSync 31.5-48.5
VertRefresh 40-70
Option "DPMS"
EndSectionSection "Monitor"

stim141

#3 Post by stim141 »

No, DPMS is there and monitor power will go down when a user is logged in, not at the GNOME login screen - set power time low and left graphical login screen sit there - never blanked or turned off monitor. Read somewhere that you have to enable xscreensaver from within a config file but the post was'nt clear on how to do this. Something about modifying xconfig but my xconfig was totally blank - file did exist.

dawgie

#4 Post by dawgie »

The easiest way is to edit your /etc/gdm/gdm.conf file.
Look for:
#BackgroundProgram=
and change ti to:
BackgroundProgram=xscreensaver -nosplash
I think that this only works with the "standard greeter".