[solved] Vokoscreen without video and webcam busy

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

[solved] Vokoscreen without video and webcam busy

Postby Onsemeliot » 2020-09-30 13:42

Unfortunately I didn't find a community page for Vokoscreen or a trouble shooting page for it. (The GitHub page would only allow members to post there and I don't want to become a member just for asking this question.)

I am attempting to do a screen recording with Vokoscreen on a Dell Latitude E7470 with Debian Buster. I actually want to record a Jitsi meet session (which does work fine on the device). I was instantly able to record this way on my Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook e781 vPro. As a fail safe option I want to be able to do it on an other device also. But on the Dell the screencast will only record a black screen with audio. Vokoscreen doesn't seem to be capable to access what my screen shows. (I can't even record directly from the webcam – even if I get a nice Vokoscreen preview window for what my webcam shows when turning on that option. I still get just a black screen in the recording. But a recording of the webcam only isn't what I need anyway.)

Can anyone give me a hint for finding a solution?
Last edited by Onsemeliot on 2020-10-03 06:37, edited 1 time in total.
Onsemeliot

Re: Vokoscreen without video and webcam busy

Postby stevepusser » 2020-09-30 20:22

Are you using GNOME with Wayland? I know some screen recorders have trouble in Wayland.
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Postby Onsemeliot » 2020-10-01 04:06

Thank you for your reply, stevepusser. I am uncertain but if GNOME isn't using Wayland as default on Debian Buster then I'm not using it. And I do use the same standard Debian system on both laptops.
Onsemeliot

Postby Dai_trying » 2020-10-01 06:50

I have used simplescreenrecorder in the past and it has always worked as intended, might be worth trying as an alternative to vokoscreen.
Dai_trying

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-10-01 17:21

Onsemeliot wrote:I am uncertain but if GNOME isn't using Wayland as default on Debian Buster then I'm not using it.

Debian buster uses Wayland for GNOME by default. Click on the little cog-wheel icon underneath the login box in the display manager to see which session is selected.

Or try
Code: Select all
echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

Or perhaps
pgrep -a gnome-shell
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Onsemeliot » 2020-10-01 18:15

Indeed:
$ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
wayland

simplescreenrecorder

Thank you for the tip. I will try as soon as I am on the system again. :D
Onsemeliot

Postby Onsemeliot » 2020-10-03 06:18

I tried simplescreenrecorder too and get exactly the same result: I have sound but get only a black screen as video. Obviously there is something I am missing.

I just red on the simplescreenrecorder web page in the trouble shoot section that I should login without using Wayland. And it worked instantly. So I did an other test with Vokoscreen also and there this also led to success. Unfortunately I didn't get that chosing a different option on the login screen would actually start the whole desktop in X11 mode. I expected that this would just concern the login itself.

Thank you all for helping me out.
Onsemeliot

Return to Desktop & Multimedia