Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] Vokoscreen without video and webcam busy

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Onsemeliot

[solved] Vokoscreen without video and webcam busy

#1 Post by Onsemeliot »

Unfortunately I didn't find a community page for Vokoscreen or a trouble shooting page for it. (The GitHub page would only allow members to post there and I don't want to become a member just for asking this question.)

I am attempting to do a screen recording with Vokoscreen on a Dell Latitude E7470 with Debian Buster. I actually want to record a Jitsi meet session (which does work fine on the device). I was instantly able to record this way on my Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook e781 vPro. As a fail safe option I want to be able to do it on an other device also. But on the Dell the screencast will only record a black screen with audio. Vokoscreen doesn't seem to be capable to access what my screen shows. (I can't even record directly from the webcam – even if I get a nice Vokoscreen preview window for what my webcam shows when turning on that option. I still get just a black screen in the recording. But a recording of the webcam only isn't what I need anyway.)

Can anyone give me a hint for finding a solution?
Last edited by Onsemeliot on 2020-10-03 06:37, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Vokoscreen without video and webcam busy

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Are you using GNOME with Wayland? I know some screen recorders have trouble in Wayland.
MX Linux packager and developer

Onsemeliot

#3 Post by Onsemeliot »

Thank you for your reply, stevepusser. I am uncertain but if GNOME isn't using Wayland as default on Debian Buster then I'm not using it. And I do use the same standard Debian system on both laptops.

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

I have used simplescreenrecorder in the past and it has always worked as intended, might be worth trying as an alternative to vokoscreen.

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Onsemeliot wrote:I am uncertain but if GNOME isn't using Wayland as default on Debian Buster then I'm not using it.
Debian buster uses Wayland for GNOME by default. Click on the little cog-wheel icon underneath the login box in the display manager to see which session is selected.

Or try

Code: Select all

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
Or perhaps

pgrep -a gnome-shell
deadbang

Onsemeliot

#6 Post by Onsemeliot »

Indeed:

$ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
wayland
simplescreenrecorder
Thank you for the tip. I will try as soon as I am on the system again. :D

Onsemeliot

#7 Post by Onsemeliot »

I tried simplescreenrecorder too and get exactly the same result: I have sound but get only a black screen as video. Obviously there is something I am missing.

I just red on the simplescreenrecorder web page in the trouble shoot section that I should login without using Wayland. And it worked instantly. So I did an other test with Vokoscreen also and there this also led to success. Unfortunately I didn't get that chosing a different option on the login screen would actually start the whole desktop in X11 mode. I expected that this would just concern the login itself.

Thank you all for helping me out.