Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

USB Flash drive on KDE 3.3

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.

USB Flash drive on KDE 3.3

#1 Post by Guest »

im new to linux and just installed sarge with kernel 2.6.8. if i go into gnome and put my USB flash drive in, it pops up on my desktop and opens it up, everything is fine. if i go into KDE and do it, nothing happens. i went into the devices, but nothing is listed there....just the partitions. i tried to search everywhere within KDE, but can't find it. any ideas, or am i just blind.

phaeton

#2 Post by phaeton »

You can have gnome-volume-manager load when kde starts by linking it in the kde autostart directory. That will detect when then devices are plugged in like in gnome. I honestly didn't care for the way it worked though (probably configuration error on my end). I just added a line to the /etc/fstab file for the device. This worked for me:

Code: Select all

/dev/sda1	/media/flash 	vfat	rw,user,noauto	0 	0
You have to create the directory for it to mount in (I used /media/flash) and the dev may not be sda1 on your system depending on what other devices you have.

pigah

#3 Post by pigah »

There is also the package usbmount. It is in unstable and testing, but I don't know if it is in stable, but it automatically mounts usb drives through hotplug (i think).

maagimies

Hmm..

#4 Post by maagimies »

In my previous distro (gentoo) I used IvMan, worked perfectly. Better than usbmount in that sense that it changed the icon of the usb-stick to other than the standard hard-drive icon. I did found ivman in some repositories but I got to hell-of-a-dependency-problems, and had to spend much time fixing everything. Now I have to settle with usbmount :(