pulseaudio "unplugged"

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

pulseaudio "unplugged"

Postby morgon » 2020-10-15 20:40

Hi,

on the front-panel of my pc is a 3.5mm jack that is connected to an internal soundcard on my motherboard.

Via this jack I have connected a set of PC-speakers.

The speakers work and I can can direct streams to them, no problem.

But there is one thing I would like to understand (because it may be relevant for another issue I have):

I pavucontrol under "Output devices" the card shows up and I can select a "port", which in my case is either "Headphones (unplugged)" or "Line Out (unplugged)".
Under "Configuration" I can select a "profile" (in my case "Analog Stereo Output (unplugged)").

So even though everything works fine, pulseaudio seems to think that there is nothing plugged in (which is false),

Why is that and how can I let pulseaudio know that there is something plugged in?

I have read somewhere that the line "load-module module-switch-on-port-available" in /etc/pulse/default.pa would load the module that does the jack-detection, so I tried to comment that line out, but it does not change anything....

Many thanks!
morgon

Re: pulseaudio "unplugged"

Postby sgosnell » 2020-10-15 22:02

Open the volume control, go to the configuration tab, and set the profile to the proper setting. Probably built-in audio, analog stereo output. That should do it. Pulseaudio is finicky sometimes.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.
sgosnell

Postby morgon » 2020-10-15 22:41

I am really getting tired of having to repeat my question every time you try to "help".

My question is why for *all* the profiles (including the one I use and that is working) I can select for my internal sound card in pavucontrol is says "unplugged".

pulseaudio has some functionality that checks (via whatever means, I don't really know) whether or not something is connected to an audio-jack, but sometimes it seems to get it wrong.

So what to do if pulseaudio gets it wrong?

I really don't care that much about this "unplugged" as such (as sound works) but maybe it has something to do with the other issue I have with pulseaudio (see my other thread).

I understand that this is not a pulseaudio-forum as such - where do you go to when you have a problem with it?
morgon

Postby sickpig » 2020-10-16 09:54

morgon wrote:(see my other thread).

Which?
sickpig

Postby morgon » 2020-10-16 20:42

The other thread is titled "pulseaudio default sink".

My prinicipal problem is that when I move audio-output from my hdmi-speakers to my analog-speakers it does not stay there.

So the sequence e.g. is

1) "mpc play" => output via hdmi -
2) move output to analog and set default sink to analog => output via analog speakers
3) "mpc stop" => no sound
4) "mpc play" => plays again via hdmi

I know that pulseaudio keeps a database where it keeps track of which application has used which sink (and with which volume etc) and uses that to restore the settings, so in my case I would expect that after "mpc stop; mpc play" output would resume again on the last sink (analog), but it does not.

My theory is now that maybe because pulseaudio sees the jacks as not connected it may consider the sink as unavailable and maybe therefore does not restore it.

But I really need a forum where I find people with a more in-depth knowledge of pulseaudio - any suggestions?
morgon

Postby sickpig » 2020-10-16 20:48

Just create a keybind for running xrandr with your current display settings. Pulseaudio is intricately linked with xorg, I do not know how but I know what works. I just run xrandr -s display.resolution and pulse audio latches onto the default sink specified in its config.
sickpig

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-10-16 21:03

morgon wrote:But I really need a forum where I find people with a more in-depth knowledge of pulseaudio - any suggestions?

https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/l ... io-discuss
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby morgon » 2020-10-16 21:15

sickpig wrote:Pulseaudio is intricately linked with xorg,

Afaik not true at all.
You can run pulseaudio on a headless server without any X at all.

And to clarify one more time: My problem is *NOT* that sound output does not work.
My problem is that the sinks get not properly restored when an app exits - or (more annoyingly) when I play a streaming service in the browser and on every new song the output reverts back to where I don't want it.

I already have a script that moves the output (and a keybinding to go with it) but I don't want to press a key-sequence on every new song.

I am *NOT* looking for workarounds, I want to understand what pulseaudio is doing here.

But yeah - I probably have to use the mailing list ...
morgon

Postby sickpig » 2020-10-16 21:22

morgon wrote:You can run pulseaudio on a headless server without any X at all.

But are you?
morgon wrote:But yeah - I probably have to use the mailing list ...

Godspeed.
sickpig

Return to Desktop & Multimedia