High CPU usage on playing video files

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Re: High CPU usage on playing video files

Postby stevepusser » 2020-10-19 04:28

Even a 2008 netbook shouldn't use 50% cpu for 360p video!

What exactly kind of CPU are you using?

Are you married to Firefox? There's some non-browser applications that can play YT videos with vaapi acceleration in xorg, some even allow you to browse and/or download them. (qmplay2, minitube, smtube)

I also have my OBS repo with a version of Chromium for Buster that supports vaapi on xorg, but it takes some setup, and you'll have to install the h264ify extension so YT sends you h.264 video instead of the default vp9.
MX Linux packager and developer
stevepusser

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-10-19 06:09

Of course +1 @Stevep plenty of excellent tools to watch whatever streaming media without melting your systems proc(s) Looks like this vaapi will be coming enabled default in Firefox v 81 and does look like there's a bit more to setting this stuff up than perhaps there should be, the codec, ie: vp9 thing Google uses under whichever circumstances or renderer used deal and-or whatever else. Though yes, apparently it can work in v 80 and latest Firefox (or nightly/beta ... whatever combination thereof)has always been readily available to Debian stable users anyway. Not that I'm trying to detract away from the use of Chromium or Chrome if that's a persons preference ...

Still they all suck(HARD)compared to the awesomeness which is Firefox. What ? Just simple statement of fact. :D Remember there was a FF extension, "Openwith" that a person could setup to open links on places like Youtube or whichever other sites, with whatever media player they wanted. Think smtube, youtube-dl + mpv are all really good stuff ... Though think VLC is too and even if someone used it along with Openwith, 20% is still mucho better than 50. Also errrr, the thing about other browsers, I'm a tad biased and @Stevep spent mucho of his time making Chromium w this vaapi thing available. Which was nice of him to do. :)

Ps, @Stevep ... noticed this in some of the OP's output,

Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile - 2.3.0

Oops, was wondering which chip too, looks like at least 10yrs old and some from that series are fairly weak proc's. Not that there's anything wrong with a 10yr old chip, mine's ancient and I wuv the crusty old thing, if it's one of the really weak ones listed then actually yeah, could see FF using that much processor. Such an admin has to learn to get more out of that hardware or use another of the many options instead.
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan

Postby stevepusser » 2020-10-20 02:48

Vainfo said their hardware didn't support vp9 hardware decoding, but should h.264.

VLC should support vaapi automatically, so the user should download some hidef h.264 video to test in VLC from the terminal to see if that works.

VLC can also play Youtube URLs, but YT may have broke it for Debian's as they do so often. I just sent up a patched 3.11.1 to MX repos to address that problem (I get the current youtube.lua file from VLC's github and make that into a patch).
stevepusser

Postby Deb-fan » 2020-10-20 13:24

^ Your efforts are no doubt appreciated, at least should be. Recently came across that there's a console version of VLC (think it's cvlc) haven't tried it, mpv kicksboot. By this point honestly feeling somewhat dumb, like I've gotten trolled, all this back and forth, OP can't even be bothered to mention what cpu they're talking about. Though yeppers common sense and courtesy dictate that's something they should've done in the OP. Ah ... oh well, world keeps turning. :)
Most powerful FREE tech-support tool on the planet * HERE. *
Deb-fan

Postby bester69 » 2020-10-22 14:02

manmath wrote:Thanks for the reply. Following the Arch link solved video acceleration issues on VLC. But Firefox is still a no go.
How do I switch to wayland? And is it stable enough? I can't see a wayland session on the login screen. BTW, here's the list of wayland packages, am I missing any package?

Dont get your life compicated... If its for watching youtube videos, best thing to do, in my opinionn is to drag url video to smplayer and install youtube not autoplay addon in browser.. I watch all youtube videos in smplayer by dragging links into player..

Anyways , I think most of last chromium based on browsers supports already VAAPI for intel.. unless some of them.. I know there was a chromium version in snap with support for VAAPI acceleration I was using half a year ago, perhaps Opera and/or Brave do also supports VAAPI properly... I dont know how are things going on in Buster, Im still with stretch..

Give it time, with time you will go learning and figureting out all tricks, and what you can do and cant do in linux to work everyday properly.. It took me three years to learn all tricks :?
bester69 wrote:You wont change my mind when I know Im right, Im not an ...
bester69

Postby bester69 » 2020-10-22 14:06

stevepusser wrote:Vainfo said their hardware didn't support vp9 hardware decoding, but should h.264.

VLC should support vaapi automatically, so the user should download some hidef h.264 video to test in VLC from the terminal to see if that works.

VLC can also play Youtube URLs, but YT may have broke it for Debian's as they do so often. I just sent up a patched 3.11.1 to MX repos to address that problem (I get the current youtube.lua file from VLC's github and make that into a patch).

Strange, VLC's YT has never broken in Stretch unless ive no been realised.. Ive never ever had any trouble wathing youtube vids in VLC...indeed, I always wondered why youtube.dl broke so often and VLC's not.
bester69 wrote:You wont change my mind when I know Im right, Im not an ...
bester69

Postby stevepusser » 2020-10-22 21:54

Debian's Chromium builds for Stretch and Buster have never supported vaapi, and neither have official Ubuntu builds. Read the changelogs and look at the patchsets before claiming that.
stevepusser

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-10-23 16:58

VA-API is unsupported by the Chromium developers: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... ?id=137247

Use at your own risk :D
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby stevepusser » 2020-10-24 03:08

The Debian testing version supports vaapi via a patch, and I left it in for the MX 19 backport. Works so far, and no complaints about it so far from those here using my port from the OBS repo. I have a money-back guarantee, of course. :mrgreen:
stevepusser

Postby sunrat » 2020-10-24 04:29

I don't see any problem with high CPU usage for browser videos as long as they play. Good to give CPU some exercise so it grows strong muscles. :mrgreen:
If I want vaapi, I'll download the video and play it with MPV.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Previous

Return to Desktop & Multimedia