dropped mouse

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

dropped mouse

Postby Johen Scott » 2020-11-10 20:13

Dropped mouse. Light still on. Unplugged. Replugged. Wiggled on both ends. Still no movement. Ctl Alt F4 works. Brought up terminal and root htop.. Was not able to find correct process to kill and resolve.
Got impatient and hard reset.

Works fine after hard reset.

In the future, what can I look for in htop to kill if a dropped mouse quits moving?

Or any other tips to avoid Ctl Alt Del.

Thanks
Johen Scott

Re: dropped mouse

Postby golinux » 2020-11-10 20:21

REISUB is a gentler way.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby Johen Scott » 2020-11-10 20:51

golinux wrote:REISUB is a gentler way.

Thanks.
Johen Scott

Postby CwF » 2020-11-11 01:06

If you have a hardware power button it can be set to initiate a restart.
CwF

Postby Johen Scott » 2020-11-11 07:54

CwF wrote:If you have a hardware power button it can be set to initiate a restart.

Well I did have a root terminal open so perhaps I should have used a

systemctl reboot
or
systemctl poweroff

I suppose my concern had to do with a couple running virtual machines. But typically I keep my work saved there.
So essentially you answered my question in that I should have just used my root terminal to cleanup before initiating
a reboot or shutdown.

So are my running tasks better killed or left running at a shutdown or restart?

Thanks.
Johen Scott

Postby CwF » 2020-11-11 15:06

Johen Scott wrote:So are my running tasks better killed or left running at a shutdown or restart?

You do want to test these things!
To cut to the end of the story I've tested up to yanking power! The longer story is there is a handful of failure modes when one looses mouse and/or keyboard, even one case I've induced a crash in a x2x connected computer steals the control from a host! The remote holds the local mouse until the remote comes back up! This situation is a different cause, but maybe similar.

Hit the power button and shutdown commences. VM's will get the signal and also shut down. They may yank running programs unsaved, depends, but file systems are safe. How you arrange storage is important, how programs save, details there...

On bare metal host, I use xfce's power manager to set the power button to shutdown. In VM's never intended for bare metal I do not use that package, but the acpi packages are needed to receive a signal from the host to shut down.
So, you should do whatever in your chosen DE to have such implementation. Then test that the host can initiate guest vm shutdown. Then run a few vm's and hit the power button and observe the controlled shutdown.

At least a few times a year I lose power and have minutes to an hour to shut down unless I fire up the diesel. Last spring there was an outage when something was being done and I knew would finish at 4:01, and I needed 5 more minutes -- It takes minutes to clean up, then without monitors I let it go, and hit the button as soon as the drive lights quit, and a few minutes of activity - then off. All ok.

I run up to 50GB of tempfs, that can be an issue. So a step up in preparation is to have machines that can reach into machines, ssh, whatever. I've found that almost always when you lose kvm in some way the underlying OS isn't dead. You can have a vm with it's own kvm (keyboard, video gpu, mouse) and it can reach into it's own host to help. I had a host DE crash and not know it for hours while working in such a VM. I've explored multiseat and am not convinced it is as robust as a VM - both solutions for multigpu multiuser.

A list of failures includes nouveau on xfce causing a DE crash. The x2x trap turned out to be amdgpu in SI mode, the one that didn't make buster and is now updated in Buster (19.0.1 ?)

In the end REISUB isn't enough for when the cat pees on the keyboard.
CwF

Return to Desktop & Multimedia