Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

"Software rendering mode" after fresh installation

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
ErViandante

"Software rendering mode" after fresh installation

#1 Post by ErViandante »

Hello,
I'm trying to install a debian environment on an old laptop. More precisely I'm installing Cinnamon, and it worked but just after the completion, after the login,I got a notification on the top right corner of the screen that says "software rendering mode" and everything is pretty laggy. I'm sure the minimum requirements of Cinnamon are satisfied (2gb of ram)
Also I executed the command

Code: Select all

lspci  -k

in the console and I got this result (to check the graphic card of this laptop)

Code: Select all

]VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV280/M9+ [Mobility Radeon 9200 AGP]
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] RV280/M9+ [Mobility RAdeon 9200 AGP]
Kerneò driver in use: radeon
kernel modules: radeonfb, radeon 
Can you help me understanding how to exit this "software rendering mode"?

stevepusser

Re: "Software rendering mode" after fresh installation

#2 Post by stevepusser »

All AMD GPUs require non-free firmware "firmware-amd-graphics" package to work correctly in Debian. Search the forums for that package name, since your same question is asked and answered at least every few days, and the install driections shall be revealed.

Or just check the Debian wiki for AMD graphics, same answer.
MX Linux packager and developer