Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gnome and networking..

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
3p1ph4ny

Gnome and networking..

#1 Post by 3p1ph4ny »

Well, to start of, I'm virtually a complete linux noob. I'm interested in converting over, the only thing stopping me is my own ignorance and a few games I like to play, but I hear cedga works :)

Anyways, on to my problem:

I download the net-install CD of debian, booted up from it and installed Debian. Then it booted, gave me a command line, and I managed to run aptitude and install xwindows and gnome, via the ucberkeley ftp server. The only two packages I installed were gnome and the xwindows system, in case you're wondering.

Anyways, since I installed gnome, my computer won't talk to the network/internet, even though it would when I was downloading the packages through aptitude and only booting up the CLI, so I know gnome or xwindows messed with some settings...

Any suggestions? I don't have any install cd's, but I'd be happy to download whatever ones I need to get my system on the network again. Also, any other information you need from me, just ask. I just downloaded the net-install cd from the site yesterday, so it should be the latest version.