Screen frozen after resume

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Screen frozen after resume

Postby GraphiteCube » 2020-12-02 11:19

Hi. I have installed Debian 10 (the current stable) on a notebook computer few days ago. I installed X and i3 (https://i3wm.org/) on the computer. I notice that when I use DPMS to switch off and on the built-in screen, the screen would freeze after it is switched on.

For example, when I run the following in xterm:

Code: Select all
xset dpms force off; sleep 1; xset dpms force on

The screen is switched off (completely blank and no backlight), and then switched on again after 1 second.

The problem is that, after the screen is switched on, the screen is frozen except the cursor. When I move the mouse, I can see the cursor moving. When I type something on the keyboard, nothing is shown in xterm. I can even switch to another virtual desktop (but the screen is still showing what it was showing before being switched off) and see the cursor changing from I-beam to a pointing hand if it hovers a link (of course I cannot tell... Because the screen is still frozen).

At this point, I can only switch to another tty (by pressing Ctrl + Alt + F2), kill the X (by running pkill xorg), and restart X again (by running startx).

How should I solve or workaround this problem? Should I try Debian testing?

For your information:

Thank you in advance.
GraphiteCube

Re: Screen frozen after resume

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-12-02 16:51

Have you installed the non-free firmware that is required by your AMD graphics card? Check the Debian wiki for details (or any one of the 27 million threads we have had about AMD graphics not working properly).
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Desktop & Multimedia