Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Screen frozen after resume

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
GraphiteCube

Screen frozen after resume

#1 Post by GraphiteCube »

Hi. I have installed Debian 10 (the current stable) on a notebook computer few days ago. I installed X and i3 (https://i3wm.org/) on the computer. I notice that when I use DPMS to switch off and on the built-in screen, the screen would freeze after it is switched on.

For example, when I run the following in xterm:

Code: Select all

xset dpms force off; sleep 1; xset dpms force on
The screen is switched off (completely blank and no backlight), and then switched on again after 1 second.

The problem is that, after the screen is switched on, the screen is frozen except the cursor. When I move the mouse, I can see the cursor moving. When I type something on the keyboard, nothing is shown in xterm. I can even switch to another virtual desktop (but the screen is still showing what it was showing before being switched off) and see the cursor changing from I-beam to a pointing hand if it hovers a link (of course I cannot tell... Because the screen is still frozen).

At this point, I can only switch to another tty (by pressing Ctrl + Alt + F2), kill the X (by running pkill xorg), and restart X again (by running startx).

How should I solve or workaround this problem? Should I try Debian testing?

For your information:
Thank you in advance.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Screen frozen after resume

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Have you installed the non-free firmware that is required by your AMD graphics card? Check the Debian wiki for details (or any one of the 27 million threads we have had about AMD graphics not working properly).
deadbang