Debian not booting into GUI (partitions mess?)

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Debian not booting into GUI (partitions mess?)

Postby xlepws » 2020-12-11 17:07

I have a Debian installation as a Virtualbox VM. I partitioned it after expanding the VM size, using GParted, by stopping/deleting the swap partition, extending the main one, recreating/starting the swap partition at the end of the disk. All good and I could use the VM, until I rebooted it today.
This is what happens:

What it does then, is stopping at the command prompt, the graphical UI won't load (startx -> command not found).
I thought it could be something related to the partitions work.
So, here's what ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid shows (blkid won't work)

Do you have any idea how I could solve this? Going with nano /etc/fstab shows:
..but I'm stuck here. Shall I change UUID=1ec3... to UUID=9e0c (as in the booting process)? or to "/dev/sda5 none swap sw 0 0"?

Thanks!
xlepws

Re: Debian not booting into GUI (partitions mess?)

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2020-12-11 18:27

If the disk has a GUID partition table then remove the swap line from /etc/fstab and let systemd mount it automatically. Otherwise correct the UUID on the swap line. Don't use block devices in /etc/fstab.

For your graphical desktop problem examine the X.Org log and use the systemd journal to find out why it is failing. Have you rebuilt the video drivers for the new kernel version that was pushed for the recent point release? I have no idea how that works though because I wouldn't use VirtualBox.
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Return to Desktop & Multimedia