Xorg random freezes after update

Everything about X, Gnome, KDE, ... and everything running on it

Xorg random freezes after update

Postby andoru » 2021-01-11 16:09

So I updated Debian less than a week ago (~200 packages were changed) and it went all fine, except that from time to time everything freezes in place, making me unable to move my mouse (in some instances), unable to switch windows or do anything in the DE, and unable to switch to a TTY.
After this has happened more often that I would've liked, I connected to this machine through SSH a few times, when I would get this freeze. Looking at htop, I noticed that Xorg was using a CPU core to the max, and I wouldn't be able to kill it, not even with root privileges.
Looking at the Xorg logs didn't bring anything useful, except a few lines similar to this, involving the keyboard and mouse:

Code: Select all
(EE) event3  - USB OPTICAL MOUSE: client bug: event processing lagging behind by 15ms, your system is too slow

Looking at the apt log, the only relevant packages that got updated were the linux kernel, xserver-common, xserver-xorg-core, xserver-xorg-legacy, nvidia-alternative, nvidia-vulkan (not sure why I have nvidia packages installed/updated, I only have an intel IGD), compton, some xfce and mesa packages. Here's the full list of the changed packages (it's quite long). Looking at the bug tracker doesn't bring up anything useful either.
I've noticed this tends to happen more often when I run emulation/virtualisation software (DOSBox, VirtualBox).

Does anyone know any way of diagnosing this issue, so that I could fix it, or perhaps send a bug report if it's appropriate?

Code: Select all
$ inxi -SG
System:
  Kernel: 5.10.0-1-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: GNOME
  Distro: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics
  driver: i915 v: kernel
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: intel resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2)
  v: 4.5 Mesa 20.3.2
andoru

Return to Desktop & Multimedia