Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Deabian 10 Wayland

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
cvele

Deabian 10 Wayland

#1 Post by cvele »

How do I enable wayland? :)
echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE returns x11. On login screen I have options: system X11 Default, Gnome and Gnome Classic and I always use Gnome. Wayland is not used on any choice.
What am I missing?
Does it have something to do with nVidia graphics?
This system was used on laptop, started with debian 9 and upgraded to 10, then I removed the SSD with debian and just plugged it in PC. Then I had some work to do to enable nvidia drivers and it worked. But even on laptop, it didn't use wayland.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Deabian 10 Wayland

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

cvele wrote:Does it have something to do with nVidia graphics?
Yes. Those NVIDIA twats hate open source software so their crappy proprietary drivers don't work with Wayland. Try nouveau instead or buy a better (AMD) graphics card that actually supports an open source graphics stack properly.

See also https://wiki.debian.org/Wayland#Hardware_requirements & https://drewdevault.com/2017/10/26/****-you-nvidia.html
deadbang

cvele

#3 Post by cvele »

If I remove nvidia proprietary drivers and use nouveau will wayland then be available?

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Yes.
deadbang