Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

kdm does not work, but gdm does

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
PredatorCK

kdm does not work, but gdm does

#1 Post by PredatorCK »

When I set kdm as a default display manager then after booting I have no keyboard in kdm, then I login via console and then start kdm as root and I finally have a keyboard. But then I cannot login with any account (I tried with a new one already) and kdm throws me back to the login menu when I try to login.

Now the miracle occurs :) since with gdm everything works fine....

I already googled the topic and tried several things like deleting .files from user directories, but nothing helps so far...

Any ideas?

piper

#2 Post by piper »

CTRL + ALT + F1

login as root

init 3

apt-get remove --purge kdm

CTRL + ALT + F7 to get back to gnome

end session, log back into gnome

CTRL + ALT + F1

init 3

apt-get install kdm

Choose kdm as default

When done installing DO NOT REBOOT

CTRL + ALT + F7 to get back to gnome

Now reboot, this worked for me, hope it works for you, or you can wait for other suggestions :)

#3 Post by Guest »

Currently I have no network so I cannot re-install kdm (net-install), but I am definitely going to try, if your trick works THX in advance.

Somehow this procedure: Delete, Re-install, reboot, works. seems a little bit like windows :)

But somewhere there is certainly also a more technical reason why this thing does not work...

PredatorCK

#4 Post by PredatorCK »

THX worked perfectly now that I could try it out.

Freelottoplayer

setting kdm to default

#5 Post by Freelottoplayer »

Thank You. That was exactly the answer I needed.

I tried several times to change to kdm and managed to lock myself out of the computer. The part I was missing was the "init 3".