Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

XKB keyboard problem

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
paulw

XKB keyboard problem

#1 Post by paulw »

Hi,

I'm a relative newbie with Linux and decided Debian was going to be where I began to learn properly. I've installed Sarge and got x-window-system working but when I launch gnome I get an error message saying Error activating XKB configuration. Probably internal x server problem. I am running xfree 4.3.0. Once I close the error window the keyboard seems to work OK except that I can't find the vertical bar symbol on the top left key!

I have tried installing with PC101 and PC104 chosen, uk country code, but get the same problem each time.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Paul

anon

#2 Post by anon »

pc 104 should be correct for a european keyboard. Are you using the destop enviroment option in the installer or are have you installed the packages yourself? There's a log in /var/log/XFree86.0.log that's probably interesting to have a look at (it's without .0 if it havent been rotated yet).