Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

graphics problem

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Rednax

graphics problem

#1 Post by Rednax »

i recenltly installed debian for the first time and it is coming up all pixelated. here is a pm i wrote to some one explianing my problem.
right. i installed debian today, newest version, and when booted into it everything is ugly and pixelated. the screeen reso is set to 640 X 480 and it wont let me change it to other sizes. i thougt it might of been a graphics card problem so i downloaded the newest version of the nvidia driver. i read instructions and edited the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file with correct options. i then set the runtime to 1 so i could reboot without it running X server (as told in my readme). it whent find and i tried to run the driver file with the appropriate command. it tells me to go into runlevel 3 with command telinit 3. i do this and it loads the x server so i cant run the driver program. so i reboot and go back to run level 1 and ignore the warning the driver gives me.

it then tells me that "No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you like the installer to to attempt download a kernal interface from the nvidia ftp site."

i click yes and it says no matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the nvidia site ftp site; this means the installer will need to compile a kernel interface for your kernel.

i click ok and it then tells me unable to find kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. please make sure you have installed the kernel source file for your kernel.
ignore grammer. i never was good at english.

Xander

#2 Post by Xander »

i found this topic http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... ght=nvidia which seems very good apart from the bit when it says apt-get kernel-header-2.4.27. it couldnt find it on my machine. i got the source though and driver still wont install.