Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Frozen bubble has no sound

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
NoPane

Frozen bubble has no sound

#1 Post by NoPane »

Any idea why Frozen bubble has no sound (or music) when running on Sarge Testing? The system sounds work fine, as does xmms.

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

I assume that you are using kernel 2.6. If you are still using 2.4, the following instructions are not adequate. If you are still using 2.4, I strongly recommend that you upgrade to 2.6.

# apt-get install fb-music-high alsa-base alsa-utils aumix-gtk libesd-alsa0
(Installing libesd-alsa0 will remove libesd0, if it is installed.)

# apt-get remove --purge esound esound-clients
(Esound-common can not be removed.)

# alsaconf

You should now have sound.
Last edited by Harold on 2005-09-06 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

NoPane

#3 Post by NoPane »

Thanks Harold - you're a star! This worked fine for me (except that alsa-utilities is actually called alsa-utils).

The only problem I have now is that I don't have system event sounds ! :shock: At this point I should admit to being brought up on RH7.3 /RH9 / Fedora Core, and I'm not too sure of the Debian way .... yet. I've installed the alsa-oss package, and made sure that the test button works in the "multimedia systems selector" in the Gnome control panel, but I still can't hear events. If I navigate to the directory with the .wav and .ogg files then Totem plays them fine.

What have I done?!

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

NoPane> ...except that alsa-utilities is actually called alsa-utils.

!@#$%^&*()? I hate it when I do that!

NoPane> The only problem I have now is that I don't have system event sounds !

Event sounds just don't seem to make it through the normal speaker system. I've not been able to get system sounds other than through a case speaker connected directly to the motherboard, and case makers seem to no longer include speakers. If you have an old case speaker laying around, pull out your motherboard user manual and give it a go.

NoPane> I've installed the alsa-oss package...

There are competing sound systems in Linux: ALSA, OSS, Enlightened Sound Daemon... ALSA is the annointed system. I believe that one of the secrets to making sound work on Linux is to remove the competing software, and some of my instructions were intended to accomplish this. Also, you may have Gnome-or KDE-induced problems. If you suspect that you do, try a lighter desktop environment: Xfce, Fluxbox, IceWM...

NoPane

#5 Post by NoPane »

The event sounds I'm referring to are the login / logout / window up / down noises. i.e. Desktop Prederences -> Sound. Whilst not *that* important, they worked fine with the default Gnome ESD, but don't work with alsa. I'll keep reading the howto's !

jobezone

#6 Post by jobezone »

NoPane wrote:The event sounds I'm referring to are the login / logout / window up / down noises. i.e. Desktop Prederences -> Sound. Whilst not *that* important, they worked fine with the default Gnome ESD, but don't work with alsa. I'll keep reading the howto's !
One option you have, is to install esd again, and just turn off the Sound Deamon from Desktop -> Preferences -> Sound before playing frozen bubble, and turn it back on after. This is a pain in the ass for me, so I've just turned it off for good. A friend of mine has no problem with shutting it down before playing.

Gnome use esd for its system sounds, and it has been unmantained for some time now, and, hopefully, will be replaced with something better in the future.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

NoPane

#7 Post by NoPane »

I think I was coming to that conclusion!! Thanks for the confirmation.