Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE 3.4.2 mostly usable

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.

KDE 3.4.2 mostly usable

#1 Post by Guest »

KDE 3.4.2 is mostly usable now in unstable!

I did an aptitude dist-upgrade last night, and successfully wiped out all of KDE (doh). So today I had a bit of time, and began reinstalling KDE. The only crummy thing is you can't simply do an aptitude install kde. Apparently the kdewebdev package isn't ready yet, but I don't use Quanta, so that doesn't bother me. I haven't been using it that long (only a couple hours), but everything appears to be working fine. For the faint of heart I suggest waiting for the official go ahead, but for those that can't wait...

I'm so happy. This new KDE is noticeably faster (this coming from someone on a PIII 500), tons of new features, it just feels super polished. Thanks goes to the packagers and developers this rocks!

maagimies

Ok....

#2 Post by maagimies »

You call that "mostly usable" that you can't open a folder in konqueror that has [, ], & characters in it's name? :roll:

#3 Post by Guest »

Sorry this took so long, but I had to wait until I got home to try out the things you mention.

1. made a directory "th&e", opens in Konqueror
2. made a directory "th[e", opens in Konqueror
3. made a directory "th]e", opens in Konqueror
4. made a directory "th,e", opens in Konqueror

I can see no problems. Perhaps there was an older bug that has been fixed, or perhaps the bug is filesystem dependent. I'm using reiserfs.

maagimies

Ok

#4 Post by maagimies »

Hmm, maybe the bug IS fixed now... I'l try it myself :D
I really hope it's fixed, cause I too like the speed improvements in 3.4.2 :P

maagimies

Wohooo!

#5 Post by maagimies »

:D :D :D :D :D
It seems that the konqueror bug is fixed, now it's perfect :shock:
EDIT:
Having trouble installing valknut... :?
It's seems like a problem with the different package names in kde 3.4.2...
I'l try to compile the valknut from source and make a deb package of it.
Or is there a simpler way to "alter" the packages?

#6 Post by Guest »

How can I get my debian testing to realize I want kde 3.4.

I installed using network install and 'apt-get install kde-core'. After a lot of tweaking I couldn't get KDE to work, but gnome did work.

After 'apt-get install amarok -t unstable' whole KDE was updated, and started working properly :p

Now I just need to get KDE 3.4.2...

#7 Post by Guest »

How can I get my debian testing to realize I want kde 3.4.
Kde 3.4.2 ain't in the testing repositories yet, it's still in unstable.

#8 Post by Guest »

Kde 3.4.2 ain't in the testing repositories yet, it's still in unstable.
Really! Good eye there, pointdexter!