Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Out of range sync errors at boot

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
roel

Out of range sync errors at boot

#1 Post by roel »

Hi all,

I've got a somewhat fresh Sarge install that I managed to modify so I now have xorg running instead of xfree, the ati-drivers with 3d support instead of the open source ones, and my printer working with a self compiled gutenprint 5 install. So far so good, for a newbie.

But yesterday evening I got into some trouble I haven't been able to solve:

At boot, before I even get to see the grub bootloader or any boot messages, my monitor just says something like "Out of range sync" with info about the allowed Vertical and Horizontal sync and optimal resolution. I definitely didn't change anything in the working xorg.conf, so I'm somewhat stumped as to why this is happening. What could be causing this?

Another problem is that when I manually reboot the system (using the On - Off button) and insert a Knoppix/Ubuntu live cd, I still only get the Out of range sync errors. So I cannot chroot to / and change the xorg.conf. Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance

Judas

#2 Post by Judas »

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. And if you are getting this even before the bootloader prompt, I am sure of it. I mean, can you see anything at all? Like BIOS messages?

roel

#3 Post by roel »

Well, it seems like it was related to my tv-out setup. My pc was still connected to the tv. After unplugging the cable to the tv, everything worked again.

Weird. I still have to find out how/why this happened...
Btw, thanks for the help, Judas. :)